Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eamoex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Hi all!

I just got a used mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro from my job. It's in great condition and would perfectly suit my needs. My plan is to keep it in 10.6.8, SSD+optibay it and 8-gigs-of-RAM it.

I already have an Intel 520 series SSD that I would like to use as main drive (I'd use the original HDD in the optibay). But I can't seem to install OSX on this drive. Here's my story:

1. pulled out the HDD, stuck the SSD there instead (the SSD still had a Win7x64 partitioning and install on it, but I figured it didn't matter since the plan was to wipe it out)
  2. tried to boot with the SL DVD, computer freezes after a few seconds on a never-seen-before weird screen (sorry for bad pic)
  3. decided to format the SSD to HFS+ GUID from my other 10.6.8 MacBook (although I couldn't clearly explain how that would change anything)
  4. tried to do as in 2. above, this time the grey Apple and spinning thing appear, but after quite a wait, I get the grey Apple curtain of death (the one telling you to shut down the computer)
  5. during that wait time, I've noticed the DVD drive spins and halts a few times until crash. Is this normal? I've checked the DVD burnt surface and it looks perfectly clean, could the DVD drive be faulty?
  6. booted computer from original HDD plugged through USB with the SSD on the internal SATA connector to try and install OSX on the SSD from the DVD in a running OS environment: after a while installing, like 10 minutes, I get the grey curtain of death

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can only boot that machine from its restore disc. It will not boot from a retail Snow Leopard disc.

Eamoex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Then I'll go to the garage and dig those boxes to try and find this disc (I know I had one with my own MacBook).

Sigh. Why does this have to be so silly? This "recovery disc version lock" thing is flat stupid. I mean, what's the problem with me trying to install a legit version of their OS on a legit machine? In that sense and many others, Windows is way cooler IMO.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There's no lock in place. Just a lack of drivers for your machine on the retail disc. The version of Snow Leopard is either 10.6.0 or 10.6.3. Both of which lack the needed drivers for your machine. This is no different than trying to boot Windows XP on a newer machine with a SATA drive in AHCI mode or something else that the stock boxed retail disc doesn't have the drivers for.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Not really a "recovery disc version lock" - your MBPro is just too new! :D
Your MacBook Pro came with 10.6.3, as a special build with drivers to support the slightly newer hardware at the release time.
Apple provides those drivers in a newer OS X install.
Problem happens, because Apple never released a newer install of the Snow Leopard commercial installer, which stalled at version 10.6.3 (without those special drivers)
The usual method to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, is either to use the original DVD that shipped with your MacBook Pro - if your still have that. If not, then you would need to install Snow Leopard, using an older Mac that WILL let you install. Update that install to 10.6.8, then move the HD/SSD to your newer MacBook Pro. There's several methods of accomplishing that transfer. The main idea that you have to keep in mind is that you can't boot your MBPro directly to the commercial Snow Leopard installer DVD.

Eamoex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Thanks for clearing this. It all makes sense. I thought this MacBookPro 7,1 shipped with an OSX version prior to 10.6.3. Then I'll get that disc from the IT dept at my job.

EDIT @ DeltaMac: I might try just that: intall OSX from the SL disc on the SSD using my MacBook 4,1, update and then put that drive in the MacBookPro 7,1. Thanks!

Last edited:

chippsdavid

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for clearing this. It all makes sense. I thought this MacBookPro 7,1 shipped with an OSX version prior to 10.6.3. Then I'll get that disc from the IT dept at my job.

EDIT @ DeltaMac: I might try just that: intall OSX from the SL disc on the SSD using my MacBook 4,1, update and then put that drive in the MacBookPro 7,1. Thanks!
[doublepost=1567059009][/doublepost]BE LEARY OF UPDATES. I think APPLE IS FAZING OUT OLDER SYSTEMS which is fine until you need to use ADOBE CS6 and Mavericks gets a forced OBSOLETE. No. There is an EFI update or something that has made it so my 2009 IMAC no longer recognizes the RETAIL SNOW LEOPARD INSTALL DISC that I have always used to create my UTILITY DISK from. I'll try the install discs that came with the machine, but I have always used the Retail version from my job with no problem. The computer will boot from an external copy of Mountain Lion and Mavericks. I did just put an internal SSD in that would be 6Gbs and not the 3Gbs that probably were released at the time. I have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM booting from Snow Leopard until now. I could even boot the 2009 machine into Leopard. I'm making a new SSD UTILITY disk to cut back on time and frustration when troubleshooting a computer and I LOVE SNOW LEOPARD. Everyone LOVES Snow Leopard there were NO BUGS. NO ISSUES and EVERYTHING WORKED IN HARMONY. What is NOT TO LOVE?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.