Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfrobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I have an iBook clamshell (blue) with a 6 gig hard drive and 320mb of memory. The firmware is upgraded if 4.1.7f.

I recently inherited this and wiped the drive clean and installed OS 9.2.2 from an iBook disc. No problem. However, I seem to be unable to upgrade to OS X. I have a retail Jaguar disc (10.2.2.) and every time I put it in the drive, it boots to the Apple logo and then freezes right there. I thought it might be the disc and so borrowed one from a friend and the same thing happened. FYI, both discs appear to be fine with no scratches or marks on them.

So what's my next step here? I have no external hardware connected, no firewire port and no access to another Mac (although I do have a PC if that helps).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

TstAllTruth

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
California
iBooks + OSX <> happiness..

I work at a small college and some people have run into this issue with older iBooks. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a path for running 10.4 or above on the iBook platform at all. The best you can do is 10.3.2 - which will require several steps. Even the relatively newer "white" models [which look somewhat like the MacBooks..] don't support Tiger, according to what we were told by Apple. Sorry to give you bad news.. :(

gfrobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for reply but I'm trying to install OS 10.2.2. I know clamshells can support up to 10.3 so don't think that's the problem.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
While booting from the CD try booting into verbose mode, :apple:+v while booting into the CD. Instead of the Apple you will get a text based load screen so you can see where it is hanging up.

I was about to mention the firmware then I noticed you are already updated to 4.1.7.

gfrobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Tried booting in Verbose mode and got some kind of kernel error (Darwin 6.0). Ends with "Panic, we're hanging here" and then cursor is frozen so can't type anything else in.

Thought it might be bad RAM and tried both reseating it and removing it completely. No luck. And my 9.2.2 disc still boots fine so don't think it's a CD drive problem.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
What are the codes associated with the panic?

It could be something like a bad video card or another piece of hardware that does not cause problems with Mac OS 9.

You could also hold the shift key while booting the CD for safe mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.