can't install os x tiger on a g3 ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thefnshow, May 17, 2009.

1. thefnshow macrumors regular

my hard drive freaked out on my g3 ibook so i went to reinstall tiger on it...i can't get it to boot from an external dvd rom and start the instalation process...it gets a kernel panic and the only thing i can do is shut it off...is there anything that i'm not doing or is the hard drive fubar'd ? thanks

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Did you make sure your rig has the specs for it? You might need to upgrade the ram first, for example.

3. thefnshow thread starter macrumors regular

that's what i was running before it freaked out...i've got 384 mb of ram

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

It sounds like either the Optical Drive or the HDD is having issues. It might also be that most Clamshell iBooks didn't have FireWire, in which case the only way to install it is using a program called XPostFacto. It also might be having issues using an external DVD, but I doubt it. Mac OS X is usually quite good at using weird methods to install.

384mb ram should be okay for tiger. It will be slow, but Im pretty sure its supported as I think Apple was still shipping machines with 256 or 512MB RAM when Tiger was released.

5. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Could be that one of your RAM sticks died.
    Dont know if you have one or two Ram memory sticks...try pulling one and see if your CD reboots...if not try the other? Very rare that both died.