Can't install OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MkVsTheWorld, Jan 20, 2010.

1. MkVsTheWorld macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I just got a MacBook intel core duo 1.83ghz for a killer deal and I am having a strange issue. Whenever I try to install OS X, my MacBook shuts down. I don't even make it to the language selection. Now, if I install ubuntu or vista then I have no problems. Only when trying to install Leopard or Snow Leopard. When I have no other hardware issues. Any ideas or threads? Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And what Install/Restore DVDs are you using?

Did they come with the machine?

4. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I am trying to install via DVD. Is that what you meant? They are store bought copies that I got for some other macs in my house. Do you think I have bad copies?

5. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

No these are not the discs that came with the mac. No discs were included in the sale. I was testing out my discs to see what would work then buy it since I got the mac book as is.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

You will need the discs that came with the macbook, it's a drivers issue.

Go buy Snow Leopard and try that.

Although, if it is really the 1.83ghz, loading Leopard should be fine since that's the 2006 model.

Hrmm...

7. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

Will I have to have the original discs or will buying Snow Leopard or Leopard possibly resolve the drivers issue?

8. lbodnar macrumors regular

Retail OS X should work fine. As well as the exact disk that was supplied originally with the machine. Anything else will most probably not work. I have a lot of Macs and a lot of install disks and they don't seem to match.

9. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

Why is it buying a new copy of Snow Leopard will resolve my problems? Do my other disks not include drivers?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They contain drivers for a different machine that will not work on your Macbook.

11. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

When I was reading online, some people said when they tried what I did, they got a message. Is it normal for the Macbook to just shut off like mine does? I am sorry I am asking so many questions. I just need to justify paying $169 for Snow Leopard because I don't have an existing OS X on this machine. Thanks for everyone's help.

12. lbodnar macrumors regular

Take it to the nearest Apple store or distributor and ask them to check/see if the retail disk would work (without going through the whole 50 minutes install process of course.)

By the way there is a great package consisting of Snow Leopard + iLife'09 + iWorks'09. It is very cost effective!

13. Paul B macrumors 6502

Why don't you try to get the discs for your machine off eBay? That would be the least expensive option.

14. lbodnar macrumors regular

Because they would be 10.4 and iLife'06 ?

15. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I took my MacBook to the nearest Apple store and the Genius Bar tech installed Snow Leopard free of charge! He said that I would have to buy the $29 dollar OS X DVD eventually though. But, that was really awesome of them though.

But, this is a big but, the MacBook shut down anytime we would let the MacBook idle during the install. I had to keep moving my finger across the trackpad. Also, my MacBook will shut itself down if I let it sit for awhile too...it even prompted me once to Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, Cancel. I don't know why this is. Any ideas? BTW, thanks for the help this far.

16. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

HDD possibly not spooling back up after it has been put to sleep? My dads powermac g5's harddrive when you put the disk to sleep and resume system after sleep the whole thing is locked up. Un-check that option and his system is fine. Try that your HDD might be on its way out.

17. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I turned all of the sleep options off, even if I uncheck for the HD to sleep whenever possible, this problem persists.

18. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I wanted to add that the MacBook doesn't shut down when left idling unless it prompts me to Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, Cancel. However, if prompts me to Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, or Cancel whenever I let it idle for 2-3 minutes. If I don't act within a minute of the prompt, it shuts off abruptly. Also, if I let it sit again, it will prompt me again. So, if I keep using my the MacBook, it will never shut down. Any ideas?

19. lbodnar macrumors regular

20. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I am not too great at deciphering it. I copied and pasted the system log from when I turned it on this morning for about 10 minutes of usage. I attached it if that's okay? During this time frame, it has shut off twice.

I have reset the PRAM multiple times as well as taking the battery out and holding the power button for 5 seconds. Nothing changed :-(.

I do notice this message appearing in the System Log several times around the time the shut down occurred.

localhost DirectoryService[15]: Improper shutdown detected

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have the Leopard disk right? Just pay $30 for Snow Leopard.

22. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I have installed Snow Leopard now. That is no longer an issue :). It now shuts down anytime it idles for more than 2-3 minutes though. It prompts me first like I asked it to shut down then it shuts down abruptly after 10 seconds of receiving the prompt. However, if I keep continually using it then I will never get the prompt.

I am getting this message in my system log around the time my computer shuts down.

localhost DirectoryService[15]: Improper shutdown detected

23. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

Any suggestions? I am taking it back to the Genius Bar on Tuesday but any suggestions are definitely appreciated.

24. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking that maybe there is a glitch with the SMC firmware. I was checking to see if there was anyway to force the computer to re-update with the firmware. Does anyone know any ways?

25. MkVsTheWorld thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the Genius Bar and the tech disconnected the keyboard and ALL of my problems went away. Literally, all of them. I didn't entirely believe him because it sounded a tad too good to be true but when I got home, same outcome.

So, if anyone has the same problems as me then there is a good chance that the problems are with the keyboard. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. This thread is solved.