Can't Install OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dailo, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dailo macrumors regular

Something really wierd happened with my MBP. First somehow my .sparseimage magically moved itself to a hidden directory and got currupted, luckily I was able to recover most of the data with data rescue. No more filevault for me from now on!

So I boot up my Tiger install disk, erase the entire drive and try to install OSX. But I keep on getting this error "This software cannot be installed on this computer" no matter how many times I try to format or restart. I'm using the disks that came with my MBP CD, but I am trying to install it on a a MBP C2D. Does this matter? Doesn't seem like it would. I'm lost now as of what to do. Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It does matter. The Core Duo MacBook Pros came out long before the Core 2 Duo ones, and shipped with an earlier version of OS X, one that doesn't recognize the Core 2 Duo machines. You need to use the CDs that came with the EXACT MACHINE you're trying to re-install on.

3. dailo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Didn't think about that, but it makes sense! Now to find my C2D box....