Can't install OSX on intel imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by teddycorona, Feb 13, 2008.

1. teddycorona macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me

I've wiped my Intel iMac in order to reinstall tiger from my original install disks - then leopard from my upgrade dvd.

Now when I boot from my tiger install dvd a message pops up saying that OSX cannot be installed on this computer. I have tried verifying and repairing the disk using disk utility - it tell me there are no problems. I have tried reformatting the HD, reformatting using the zero out data option, even partitioning the HD - all with no luck.

I was running 10.5.? and have tried the all of the above using my Leopard upgrade dvd as well

Firmware is the only thing I can think of that I've not tried yet, but I don't know where to start

Now I'm completely stuck. Can anyone out there help

Thanks in advance

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You are using the version of 10.4 (Tiger) that came with your computer aren't you? If you are not then it won't work most likely.

How exactly are you trying to install it? What is the process you go through?

3. teddycorona thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the disk that came with the computer
    Starting up from the install disk. Selecting english as the main language, then as the installer loads I get a message over the top saying that OSX cannot be installed on this computer with restart and startup disk buttons below it.

This is as far as I can get

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

How did you format the HD? Make you use the GUID format since you have an Intel Mac. What version of Tiger is it on the DVD?

5. teddycorona thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format - is this where I may be going wrong? the version i'm trying to install is 10.4.8

6. Quint macrumors member

Do you have more than one Mac? There were several versions of intel iMacs - Core Duo, core 2 Duo, Aluminum, etc. and the restore discs are not interchangeable. It sounds like you are trying to use the wrong DVD for this iMac. Make sure that you have disc 1, and if you have any other installer discs around, make sure that one of these isn't the correct one.