Can't install OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by G.T., Jul 19, 2011.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

5 days ago my laptop wouldn't boot up. I got a flashing folder with a question mark. I found out what it meant but I did not have my install disks with me to fix the problem.
    My laptop had Leopard and was upgraded to Snow Leopard. I burrowed a Snow Leopard disk from my friend who had a MBP, it took a while to boot up but did and in the disk utility I could not see my hard drive. I determined that it must have died/been corrupted.
    I finally recieved my new hard drive today and it has been installed, I put in the install disks but when it loaded it said OSX could not be installed on this drive. I didn't know if its because I have not formatted so made a partition with Mac OS X extended (journaled). I restarted but again it said it can't be done. I went in disk utility and the hard drive is there so I'm sure my other one had died.
    It suggested I resume from a timemachine back up, but if there is no OSX on the drive, this won't work will it?
    So what have I done wrong/what else can I try. Should I be using my install disks?

Please help, I need this fixed as soon as possible.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The grey install disks that come with Macs are model specific and will not work on other models. You need to buy your own retail copy or contact Apple for replacement install disks, if you don't still have the ones that came with your Mac.

3. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right well mine are at my Uni address, so I should get hold of them and try them?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.

5. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

So when I get it and I insert the disk, should I do the leopard one then snow leopard. Also does it matter about the partition now, will it erase everything for install and then I'll be ok. For restoring from time machine, I just do this once I have OSX installed and running, or can it do it during the process?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Restore from TM after you have OS X installed.

7. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks, I'll just have to wait for my flat mate to post my disks then

8. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

grey folder with ? means it can't find the harddrive that contains your boot system.

Just press Option (ALT) during boot. if your harddrive works fine, you should be able to select it. and boot up.

if not... sounds like a new harddrive is needed.

i installed my MB5,1's new SSD from new this way off a Snow Leopard Disc (USB or internal) on another Macbook (MB7,1). once installed, take the harddisk back into your own Macbook. bobs your uncle, fresh copy of SL:apple:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't want to wait, you can just buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.
    A new hard drive isn't needed. Read my earlier post. Attempting to install from another model's install disks either won't work at all or would likely cause problems even if you could get it running. The drivers wouldn't be the same.

10. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well they should be posted today, so I'll get them just as quick. No apple store around here so I'd have to buy online and wait for delivery

11. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried the alt thing before and nothing worked, and like I said the disk utility couldn't see my old hard drive, but does for the new one. So I think it had died. Do you think I should try putting the old drive back in when I get the install disk just to make sure. What is it I do to get it to find the OS again, so I'm not formatting the drive but just fixing the problem? Then if it works great, as I can back up the couple days I didn't have on my time machine, and then install my new drive. And if it doesn't work then I have my new drive here anyway that I can just install onto that.

12. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, has anyone installed the snow leopard upgrade disk on a drive with no prior osx on it. I ask as I'll be getting my hands on that sooner than my leopard one.

13. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If you have a install disk, you can actually restore from a TimeMachine backup without installing OSX first. It's one of the options in the top menu near Disk Utility.

14. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had tried that, but it didn't work. Maybe because it wasn't my disk?

15. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I guess you can try a retail disk if you can borrow one.

16. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im getting my hands on snow leopard today. My install disks might arrive today but more likely tomorrow. Still no idea where my snow leopard disk is.

17. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

Hackintosh, yes
    Mac, no.

18. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys got everything back up and running