Can't install OX 10.4 ???

Webb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I put the disc in restart the computer pressing "C" then takes me the installer,after choosing the language I got an alert saying " This software cannot be installed on this computer "

What it could be ?

Thank you

Webb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Are the discs grey or black?

Which mac?

Did the discs come with the Mac?
The disc is gray and says "eMac" No I got the iBook on Craigslist.com and the install disc on Ebay.

Thank you

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The disc is gray and says "eMac" No I got the iBook on Craigslist.com and the install disc on Ebay.

Thank you
The grey installation discs are model specific and will not work on any model besides the one they were originally shipped with. (eMac /= iBook) I suggest get the retail (black) OS X 10.4.6 Tiger discs from Apple.

Webb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
The grey installation discs are model specific and will not work on any model besides the one they were originally shipped with. I suggest get the retail (black) OS X 10.4.6 Tiger discs from Apple.
Bummer thank you :eek:

Webb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
This was posted on the Ebay auction,did I just didn't read right or they send me a wrong one ?

Mac OS 9.2.2 (full install) incl. for FREE- get "Classic" functionality at no extra charge

Mac OS 10.4.10 updaters avail for FREE (save time & hassle by not having to download; contains all the latest updates for Mac OS X incl Java & Security on 1 convenient extra CD)

If you have an eMac and are looking to upgrade to Tiger, this is the software for you. As a bonus, get the most stable and fastest iLife yet (especially suited to G4s), along with Quicken & AppleWorks too! Compatible with any eMac. Requires 256 MB of RAM & internal or external DVD, Combo or Super Drive to install. If you don't have such a drive, please contact us to purchase the same software on CD for $69.99 OR a universal install that will work on ANY Mac for $99.99
Includes

Mac OS X 10.4 Software DVD Kit
xCode 2 Developer Tools Software
iLife '05 w/ iDVD 5, iMovie HD, iPhoto 5 & GarageBand 2
Mac OS 9.2.2 Classic Restore Disk
AppleWorks 6 & Microsoft Office X (Trial)
Apple Original Welcome To Tiger Manual
License, Proof-of-Purchase Coupon

On the auction picture it had a Black disc and they sent me a Gray one.

Thank you

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you have an eMac and are looking to upgrade to Tiger, this is the software for you.
This would suggest to me that it was eMac-only. What was the title of the auction?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
This was posted on the Ebay auction,did I just didn't read right or they send me a wrong one ?
I think they used some confusing wording that means you may have gotten what they were advertising or not. While it says emac, it also says "tiger install DVD" -- that should be the one that you buy retail. The whole thing smells bad. I would try to get a refund because it doesn't work and their ad wasn't clear.

I would also wait two months and then buy leopard/10.5 when it's released rather than paying for tiger 2 months before it's old.

Webb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
This would suggest to me that it was eMac-only. What was the title of the auction?
Auction

I think they used some confusing wording that means you may have gotten what they were advertising or not. While it says emac, it also says "tiger install DVD" -- that should be the one that you buy retail. The whole thing smells bad. I would try to get a refund because it doesn't work and their ad wasn't clear.

I would also wait two months and then buy leopard/10.5 when it's released rather than paying for tiger 2 months before it's old.

Also the update disc was a copied = burned one...:eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Auction
Also the update disc was a copied = burned one...:eek:
Yeah, they're all kinds of sketchy. The listing mentions the eMac twice, but they should be more clear that it is not compatible with other machines. In fact, it should be in the title of the listing.

(On a side note, the entire eBay selling of the restore/install discs is in violation of the licenses. If you look at the discs, they should say that they are part of a hardware bundle and are not to be sold separately.)