Can't install/partition mac. Filevault issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnDalberg, Mar 14, 2015.

1. JohnDalberg macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm having problem installing windows/partition my macbook pro 2014 model. I think the problem is related to the FileVault problem (cant turn off filevault etc.). I've tried pretty much anything except formating the mac.

Does anyone have an idea? Or do I have to wipe the mac to get it working...

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need to turn off FileVault before Bootcamp will be able to resize the OS X partition. Are you unable to do that?

3. JohnDalberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm unable to turn of filevault. Tried pretty much any trick that I've seen on topics about this issue.

4. JohnDalberg thread starter macrumors newbie

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You say it doesn't work.
    Does ANYTHING happen - error messages, anything reported in your system.log?
    Did you run the command that tells you the status of your File Vault?
    Does that report anything unusual?

What else have you tried to fix your issue?
    Have you tried reinstalling OS X?

If reinstalling OS X makes no difference, then I suspect that you may have some minor corruption of the partition, and I also predict that it won't get better on its own.
    You could run Disk Warrior. Get the version 5 if you don't have it yet, it will be best at dealing with a File Vault partition.

You may end up with wiping the drive and redoing the partition.
    Do you have a good current backup of everything that you want to back up?
    If you don't, that should be a priority for you. A worst case issue is if your file vault partition becomes corrupted. It could be on that edge now. That condition would not be recoverable, and not a nice way to lose your data.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If none of the tricks Delta showed you will work, you will need to do a Time Machine backup of the drive then option key boot to the backup. Then from the Utilities menu launch Terminal and enter the command below. Assuming the internal partition is named the default Macintosh HD. Make sure to include the quotes exactly like I have it here.

Code:
    diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"
    Then quite Terminal and start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab and format the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Once that is done quit Disk Util and click restore. That will put the OS and everything back in place.

That should get you back up and running with a non FileVault setup you can use BootCamp on.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you get to that point where you can restore - that's a function of Disk Utility, so don't follow the request to Quit Disk Utility first. Erase, then go to the Restore tab, set up your backup drive as the Source drive, and your newly erased HD as the Destination. Then, click the Restore button.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will only work if the "backup" drive is a clone. It won't work with the Time Machine backup I suggested.