Cant install programmes.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daveathall, Aug 19, 2011.

1. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I have a mid 2010 MBP running Lion, when I try to download a programme from the internet, the screen goes black and the exec will not load for me to install the programme. (Nothing goes into the download file)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of files are you downloading and trying to install from?

3. daveathall thread starter macrumors 68000

daveathall

I am trying to install Adobe Flash, I need it to listen to music to previews from HD music sites. As soon as I click on the install now a black screen appears from the right of my MBP.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Does the "exec" look like this?

[​IMG]

If so, that's not what you use to install. Installing software on a Mac requires that you either run an installer (For instance, "Install Microsoft Office") or that you simply drag an application from the .dmg to your Applications folder.

One thing about Macs, if you over-think (like a Windows user) you'll think yourself crazy.

5. daveathall thread starter macrumors 68000

daveathall

No, as soon as I press on the install button in the adobe page, the black screen appears on the whole of my MBP screen, and then nothing.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

To install Flash:

FIRST, make certain you are downloading the Mac installer from Adobe.com and not a fake site.

It will download to the Downloads folder by default in Leopard and later Mac OS'.

Open your downloads stack or folder and open the install_flash_player_osx_intel.com.

It will mount the disc onto your desktop and open a new window with the installer called Install Adobe Flash Player.

Double click the installer. A warning will pop up, click OK.

Run the installer as normal

7. daveathall thread starter macrumors 68000

daveathall

8. daveathall thread starter macrumors 68000

daveathall

Thank you all for offering solutions.

As an update I spoke to Apple help this morning on the phone, they hadn't heard of this sort of problem before, it turns out that it was a plugin that I had installed before I upgraded to Lion that was incompatible and stopped me downloading other programmes, not sure which one it was because we uninstalled all of them during the restoration of my MBP. Works perfectly now.