Can't install Safari 4 on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gngan, Sep 8, 2009.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I deleted Safari 4 by dragging it to trash and trying to reinstall it. But it says i need to have OSX 10.5.8 later in order to install.
    Any idea?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

Why delete safari?
    You sure you have 10.5.8 or later?

3. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

I was trying something out. i have 10.6 Snow Leopard.

4. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You can use Pacifist to extract the application from the install DVD and install it (it will be either Safari.app or Safari.pkg - I haven't checked; if it is the .app, drop it into the Applications folder, if it is .pkg, double click and follow instructions on the screen).

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You wouldn't by chance have Time Machine?

I don't think the version of Apple's website is compatible with Snow Leopard because Snow Leopard comes with a special build; Apple doesn't allow that one to be downloaded because its already built-in to Snow Leopard.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

really? i don't know why they would do that. I don't see how downloading safari 4 from their website, and then updating via software update wouldn't work..??

8. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hmm..I am having the same issue..Pehaps try putting in the DVD of SL and seeing if Safari is in the "optional installs" folder.

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

You may have to reinstall your system software to get it back, at least for now.

I made the mistake of deleting iMovie shortly after getting my last Mac, thinking "Hey, I'll never use this. Even if I do, I'll just reinstall from the CD!"

Wrong. The software is bundled in such a way that you can't re-install certain programs individually.

I have no idea why they do this. I assume it's some kind of copyright reason behind it, but it ends up causing ludicrous problems.

10. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah, I'm "Archiving and Reinstalling" now..Because it is not on the DVD. Just make sure you backup your HD before doing so.

11. msanghadia macrumors newbie

I deleted safari, after repeated experiences of it hanging up since the latest update, thinking I could just reinstall it from Apple. But as a previous user has noted the download will not install nor recognize my HD as with the latest version of the OS (I have leopard on my MacBook Pro).

How does one reinstall safari that came with leopard? I am not a techie so instructions will need to be rather detailed!:)

Thanks very much for any help. (Thankfully, I had installed Opera when experiencing the crashes, and before deleting safari--btw the act of deleting should come with a warning of its consequences!)

12. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Looks like there is currently no way to get Safari back. :( I ended up not archiving and reinstalling, because there is no option on Snow Leopard. Do you have Snow Leopard? Or Leopard? There is a way if you have Leopard.

13. msanghadia macrumors newbie

Yes, it is the Snow Leopard, and soon after posting the above, I am happy to say that I was able to do a full restore of Safari from my Time Capsule--God Bless whoever designed it! Now I am hoping that the crashes (hanging with the "wheel of death" spinning forever) would stop. Are there any fixes to that, should that recur?:)

14. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I do not know of any fixes if the problem recurs... Tell me if it works! ;)