Can't install Snow Leopard on MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgrimes08, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mgrimes08 macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm going to try to keep this brief:

• I am trying to fix a friend's MBP, so I took out his old hard drive and replaced it with another one.
    • I inserted the Snow Leopard disc only to get an error message after boot up that read something like "Mac OSX cannot be installed on this drive, etc."
    • If I don't insert the Snow Leopard disc, the computer boots up to a screen with a flashing folder that has a question mark on it.
    • Did some research: Found that the problem may be solvable using target disc mode. I have a second MBP and a firewire cable. Tried using both of them as the "target" computers (because the threads are VERY vague as to which one needs to be the target). Neither worked.
    • Can't figure out if I'm doing right, but nothing's working.
    • WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

If you have questions, just let me know. I want to solve this issue, but I'm not sure there is a viable solution...

-M

2. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I would try to format the disk using Disk Utility first...

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3. mgrimes08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Without the install disk in the DVD drive, I get the blinking folder/question mark popping up. When the disk is in the drive, I can open up Disk Utility, but it will not allow me to format/erase/partition the drive. This is a much more complex problem. haha

4. sparky1499, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

Fair play.

Is this a brand new drive? Perhaps it's broken?

5. mgrimes08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know for a fact that all the hardware on the MBP that I'm not fixing is working just fine.