Can't install Snow Leopard on my Mac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gooby4, Apr 28, 2013.

1. gooby4 macrumors newbie

So before I try and explain everything, I would like to point out that I am not very familiar with OSX. I am mostly a window guy but I got a 2007 iMac that is running 10.5.8 and I am trying to upgrade it to at least Snow Leopard. I have the installation on an 8gb USB and everytime I try to install I get the error "the installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail." I have verified my the hard drive and everything seems to be ok. I'm not sure what else I can do, please help and thanks in advance!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Try again with the original DVD.

3. gooby4 thread starter macrumors newbie

My CD got scratched from the time I moved houses and cannot be read.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

looks like either the installer on the USB Drive is corrupt, which could be if the CD was damaged and you used that to copy to the Flash drive.

Try repairing permissions on your 10.5.8 HDD when booted with the Installer flash drive. then try upgrading that way.

Or if you have an external drive USB or FireWire with 20GB free, try to make a clean installation on that drive with your Snow Leopard installer.
    if it works then you know you're installer is good and perhaps something in your current installation is out of whack...you can always reapply the 10.5.8 Combo update to see if that patches up anything that may be preventing the upgrade process.

5. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Call Apple and they can ship you a disc for $19 plus free shipping.