Can't install Snow Leopard using VM Fusion under Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lloyd709, Jun 26, 2012.

1. lloyd709, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

lloyd709 macrumors 6502

I only get options to create Snow Leopard Server virtual machines (32 bit and 64 bit but both Server versions only) using VM Fusion 4.1.3. If I pick one of these and try to create a VM with a normal SL disc it says 'The guest operating systesm is not Mac OS x Server'.

I've read that you should now be able to create a VM using a normal, non server, install disk!! I've also seen screen shots on the web of a dialogue box asking for the user to confirm that they have a licence for the operating system which I don't get!! Am I doing something wrong or has VM Fusion changed??

2. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

seems you can't do it anymore

I just found this thread on the subject - seems like it was a mistake that only lasted for version 4.1.0 of VM Fusion!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280344&highlight=snow+leopard+vm+fusion

My next question though is if I buy and install a copy of Snow Leopard Server will this work in exactly the same way as a normal copy of Snow Leopard - in particular running Rosetta aplications?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It'll work fine, but it's rather expensive. Oddly enough.

There are some work-arounds (or were) for virtualization of previous systems, and it seems a rather gray area from a licensing point of view (if you have a license to run SL who cares if it's a real or virtual machine??).

Or try Virtual Box...maybe that'll work.

A small external drive to run it also doesn't cost much more than the software, although it does mean a reboot.

Rob

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

If you can get a copy of VMWare fusion 4.1, it allows for Snow Leopard virtual machines. But you can't update from 4.1 and keep suing SL vms.