Can't Install Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GeorgiaCat, Jun 17, 2012.

1. GeorgiaCat macrumors newbie

My daughter asked me to replace the hard drive in her Macbook Pro 2,2 (mid-2007, Core2Duo 2.16Ghz, 2GB). She had been to the Genius Bar and they assured her it was bad, and the system would not boot. She had no backups.
    I installed the drive, but could not get SL to install. I took it to the Genius Bar, bit they had the same problem, regardless of installing from a disc, the network drive, or an external hard drive source. They said the hard drive I installed was too big. The original was 160GB 5400RPM, and it was replaced with a WD 500GB 7200RPM.
    Just for fun, I tried loading Leopard this weekend and it loaded without a hitch. With Leopard the computer works great and functionally is fine. However I want iCloud capability, so I was intending to upgrade to Lion. After getting Leopard up and running, I again tried to upgrade to SL, but every time I get a message, "unable to read the disc", after about 10 minutes. I have tried loading SL several times (with different discs), but always the same result.
    Any insight for next steps or any other ideas would be appreciated.

2. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Use an external ODD, such as:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A

Other comparable products are probably cheaper. Use google to find compatible external ODDs. The above mentioned Mac should be able to boot from the external ODD.

4. GeorgiaCat thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive is GUID Partition Scheme

----------

That is a good idea. I have another genius appointment tomorrow, and if that gets nowhere, I'm planning to get the optical drive.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You could see if it installs onto an external drive. Then use Migration Assistant to move everything from the Leopard account. Boot from the external, if that all works OK, then clone the external to the Mac by using Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper.

6. GeorgiaCat thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this and it was a no go. It was about like the other attempts; it went part way and then crapped out. After another visit to the genius bar, I am going to replace the RAM and see what happens.

Thanks to all for your replies. I am down to replacing RAM and/or replacing the logic board. Your replies have been helpful and encouraging.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Unless they've updated the firmware or something, I think the Apple DVD drive only works with the latest Macbook Retina, Air and Mac mini's that have no optical drive.

8. GeorgiaCat thread starter macrumors newbie

I replaced the RAM this morning and was able to load SL. It appears at this time, it was the RAM all along.
    Again, thanks to everyone for your comments.