Can't install standard Snow Leopard on Mac Mini Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ColdCoffee, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ColdCoffee macrumors member

I purchased a top of the line Mac Mini Server and I'd like to install the standard version of Snow Leopard on it.

I tried to the following:

I inserted my retail snow leopard DVD in my macbook pro and I launched "Remote Install Mac OS X" (in /applications/utilities) and I followed the instructions. Then I booted the mac mini holding the "alt" key down and selected the snow leopard dvd as startup disk.
    What I see next is the Apple logo with the activity indicator spinning and after several seconds I see a "no entry" sign... and nothing more... it stays like this forever.

Is it possible to install Snow Leopard on a Mac mini server?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You cannot install a OS that is older than your computer.

3. ColdCoffee thread starter macrumors member

So it's impossible to install Snow Leopard on the Mac Mini Server?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no idea when you purchased either your copy of Snow Leopard or your computer. Therefore, I have no way of knowing whether or not you can install Snow Leopard on your Mac mini Server.

You have both of these pieces of information. Use them to answer your own question.

5. ColdCoffee thread starter macrumors member

I bought the Mac Mini Server very recently (2 weeks ago), newest model.
    My snow leopard retail DVD is way older (I think I bought it right after Snow Leopard came out).

So if I buy a snow leopard retail DVD now it should install fine on my Mac Mini Server?

Thank you for the help.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

As far as I know, and I could be mistaken, but I don't think Apple has released an updated version of Snow Leopard Retail and should be the same as the when it was first released. Where are the discs that came with the computer?

7. ColdCoffee thread starter macrumors member

The disks that came with my computer contain Snow Leopard Server (because I purchased a Mac Mini Server). I'd like to install a standard Snow Leopard version though.

Maybe next time I should inform myself better before purchasing stuff...

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just curious. What is it about Server that you don't want? You should basically be able to turn off any undesired services and use it as you would "standard".

B

9. ColdCoffee thread starter macrumors member

The computer is for my father. I'm not sure he's going to like snow leopard server... I don't want him to mess around with it... I'd prefer to give it to him with the standard snow leopard system.
    At the same time I wanted to give him a computer that doesn't take up too much space and is powerful (8GB RAM, Dual 500GB HDs in RAID).
    He's got already a mouse, a keyboard, a display and an external dvd reader (just in case)... so the mac mini server was the best choice.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Forgot that Mac Mini Server came with Snow Leopard Server. But what balamw said, just turn off or don't use the services. Snow Leopard Server is just more administrative content but for the most part, it acts exactly like Snow Leopard and it shouldn't really affect your workflow.

11. thirumalkumaran macrumors member

WTF... Snow leopard server acting like a snowleopard server...

Pls review before posting...

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

HAHAHA sorry...LOL. Changed. Hopefully OP understood what I meant to say. :p

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Won't work. The new mini's ship with 10.6.3, but it's a newer build version than on the retail Snow Leopard disc. Until a newer retail build of Snow Leopard is available the only disc that will install on the new mini is the restore disc that ships with it (or the restore disc from the non-server version).

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Snow Leopard on Mac Mini Server

Looks like you can install a cloned OS from your MacBook onto the second drive, then download and install 10.6.4 Update for the Mid '10 Mac mini, and try to restart to the other drive.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep. What SunBaked said.

Trouble with the mid-2010 Mac minis is that the use an "adapted" version of Mac OS X 10.6.3 AND 10.6.4, Server or not.

The only difficulty maybe is getting the installer of the Mac mini 2010 10.6.4 updater to work...

16. ColdCoffee thread starter macrumors member

There's a problem if I consider installing Snow Leopard Server though...

My father speaks Italian so he needs the auto correction in italian which you only get if you install the italian language translation of Mac OS X.... now, it turns out Mac OS X Server is only available in English, French, German and Japanese...

Is there any way to add a language translation or the auto-correction after the installation process?

Thank you

17. vslo macrumors regular

You can buy the retail snow leopard. I called Apple and they assured me that the retail dvds of snow leopard already ships with 10.6.4. So no worry. I am buying one to do exactly what you what to do.

18. ColdCoffee thread starter macrumors member

Wow! That would really be a GREAT news!

Let me know if it worked for you!

19. shoebobs macrumors regular

hey, figured I would update anyone who is following this thread.

I went to an apple retail store and purchased Snow Leopard (client). They didn't have 10.6.4, they had 10.6.3. I've read conflicting reports about whether 10.6.3 will install, but I decided to give it a try and it worked for me. It seems to be running fine and the install went perfectly.

20. minik macrumors 65816

This is interesting. I couldn't even boot the original media came with my Mac mini Server (mid-2010) remotely.

It gave me a 'no-enty' sign.