Can't install Tiger on iBook! URGENT

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MrCheeto, May 2, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I've got a Tiger Retail Disc that I've used on 2 previous machines without a hitch.

Now, I urgently need to install Tiger on a 12" 800mhz iBook G3, yet after thirty minutes, it tells me to Try Again!

Some erros tell me that there are essential files that can't be copied.

"Unable to copy package source file /System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Resources/BundleVersions.plist"

"Some files for Essentials may not have been written correctly"

I can't use Target Disk Mode. What other ways can I cram Tiger into this thing?

2. robbier macrumors member

Since you've used the disc before successfully, I think the problem is the Hard Drive inside the iBook. It is also possible that between now and the last time you used the disc that it got scratched. Are there any visible scratches on the disc? If you have a current subscription to AppleCare, you can use that to download a program called TechTool Deluxe which you can burn to a CD and do some diagnostics on the iBook's HDD with.

Also, I am not completely sure about this, but the iBook's optical drive might be having trouble reading the disc if there are any scratches on it, since the iBook G3 is a relatively old machine.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

No scratches on either. I know, the tray-loaders....ehk!

I'm trying to create a disk image of the disc, at the moment*

4. robbier macrumors member

Were there any signs of a hard drive failure or issue before trying to install OS X? If not, I am starting to think the problem is the old optical drive.

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Nope, and that's why we're taking an alternate route to optical discs :p

6. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

I had this exact problem on a Mac Pro, and it was the superdrive.

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

"'Ello, gents!," said Cheeto on his new Snow White iBook G3.

As it turns out, it had something to do with either the disc (no scratches visible) or the drive (no dust visible), because it was able to install from a thumbnail! Oddly, I thought G3's couldn't boot via USB, much less a USB 2.0 device 0.o

I love it!!! And only four days before my jizzerific new baby, a graphite iBook, shows up!!

Thanks!!