Can't install using Lion USB - get prohibitory sign (no smoking sign)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by prograham, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prograham macrumors member

prograham

Posted this in the Lion section too but I thought I would see if any Airheads ;) have any thoughts too...

I'm at work and thought I would throw this out for ideas...

Working on Macbook Air 13-inch Mid-2011. It had a virus and we decided just to wipe it and reinstall Lion. We work behind a firewall with a proxy so I tried to use a Lion USB installer that I often use. When booting holding option I see the installer but as soon as I select it I get the prohibitory sign (no smoking sign).

Can't use internet recovery because of the proxies (big company, no turning them off). Now trying to make a dvd installer from a lion DMG but just wondering if anyone has ideas. I've already wiped the disk, made a new partition, and done PRAM reset.

Why am I getting the prohibitory sign? Thanks.

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The installer you are using predates the what the MBA shipped with. Meaning, it's not compatible.

You would need to get a version of 10.7.1 or newer and put it on a flash drive.

3. prograham thread starter macrumors member

prograham

Cool. I'll try making a newer version of USB installer and give that a shot. Thanks.

4. Mikey-Mike, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

MB-A's

Good luck with your project & maybe it is no big deal for a pro but I too have been bitten by the bug of having an install USB that was older then my hardware. And it was a real chore 4 me to have to go and produce a USB stick with the right ver. OS.

Also and I'm not trying to take up your time here but what virus? Didn't know there were any? Java related?

5. prograham thread starter macrumors member

prograham

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.