can't install W7 into BOOTCAMP partiton

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DesmoPilot, Jan 29, 2010.

1. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

(Using W7 x64 Ultimate) Windows said the BOOTCAMP partition wasn't formatted to NTFS, so in the windows partition menu i wiped the BOOTCAMP partition and formatted it to NTFS. In retrospect I'm guessing I totally just screwed up?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

No, that's correct. What's the problem?

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If you are going through the standard Bootcamp setup, Windows 7 is not yet supported. Though I think there are several work-arounds if you google it.

4. DesmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

Uh I thought all I had to do was upgrade to 3.1 when I get in windows?

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

You've clearly never used Boot Camp, otherwise you'd realize how little sense you just made. Windows 7 wasn't "officially" supported before Boot Camp 3.1, but it has worked pretty much flawlessly for everyone. I've been running Windows 7 since the beta days, under both Boot Camp 2.1 and 3.0. Sure the drivers could have worked a little better (which they do now with 3.1), but they worked very well nonetheless.

And you'd be right. After you install and boot into Windows, put the Snow Leopard DVD in and install the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers (which are on the Snow Leopard DVD). Then install the Boot Camp 3.1 update. Then (optional) install the latest Nvidia or ATI drivers from their official sites. After all this, running Windows Update will double check for any other drivers that could be updated.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Clearly you've jumped to conclusions, I use bootcamp to run an xp partition, however a quick check of google informs me that Bootcamp was updated at least 10 days ago( and I missed the news). So yes now you should be able to install windows 7. My appologies to the op.

7. markgerazzi macrumors newbie