Can't install Win 7 via Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drtanz, Sep 7, 2013.

1. drtanz macrumors member

I'm using Bootcamp on a Macbook air and a Macbook retina, both exhibiting same behaviour.

I basically insert the USB flash drive, and go through the bootcamp steps, including selecting partition size and then restarting. Once it restarts it goes into Windows installation, but I cannot install on the Bootcamp partition. I of course go to advanced and try to format that partition, but it tells me there is an error and that I should check the install log.

I am following the steps from here (standard installation with bootcamp):
    http://appducate.com/2013/03/how-to-install-run-windows-on-a-mac-with-bootcamp/

What could be the issue? I tried 2 different USB sticks, and two Macbooks, and having the same issues with all combinations.

2. MJL macrumors 6502a

Please check the following:

1) Do you have only one HDD / SSD?
    2) Do you have only one OS X partition?
    3) Did you format in NTFS the Bootcamp partition?

I've sometimes had that after formatting the Bootcamp partition the install did not want to proceed. Basically the name of 'Bootcamp" disappears when formatting. In that case go back one screen, hit Shift - F10 and then the command prompt should come up.
    Enter:
    diskpart
    list disk
    < select the disk that the Bootcamp partition is on, often only detectable by the size:>
    select disk <number (as shown in the list)>
    list partition
    < select the bootcamp partition:>
    select partition <number (as shown in the list)>
    format quick fs=ntfs label=BOOTCAMP
    exit

you should then be able to proceed with the install

good luck