Can't install Win XP Pro on new iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by goinsong, Apr 20, 2009.

1. goinsong macrumors newbie

Everything is up to date. Im playing by the rules and using "Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide". After Boot Camp has partitioned the H/drive at(32GB) I install the disc as instructed. After a minute it is ejected. So I boot from the disc. Still no joy. Install disc has "Service pack 2" and is new. Have googled for hours and looked at forums. Even had new ram so I put that in. Still no good. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Is it an OEM disc? (Manufacturer branded, that is.)

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Adding to this ... some OEM install discs are not actually XP discs, and will only work with the PC they shipped with.

Does it give an error message?

4. goinsong thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is. At one time when I tried installing it came up as follows "file acpi.sys caused an unexpected error (32768) at line 5964 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c " then it said press any key to continue. I searched in relation to all this and couldn't make head nor tail of it.

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

You'll need to use nLite to strip out the core XP files and repackage the iso. You need an existing windows installation to use the software, though.

6. Magnus Greenlan macrumors newbie

just bougt my first imac anf i got a lot of pc programs .Dammed just bougt xp pro dident no that OEM was usles :mad:

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

A real OEM disk like you purchase from Newegg is OK. The problem is if you have an install disk (recovery disk) from another windows machine; they often will only restore to a known config. You need to see if it's really an OEM or a recovery disk.