Can't install Windows 10 on 2015 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cuniac, May 31, 2015.

1. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what happened to my thread lol, It looks like the site updated and when I went to check to see if anyone responded its empty. So, I guess Ill start over.

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my 15in 2015 MBP. I partitioned the drive as Grid and then attempted to install. Windows gives me an error that it can not install because it thinks its set up as Master Boot and not Grid. I Exited and checked and it is on Grid. I had windows format that partition and make it NTFS but I get the same error.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

OS X's Disk Utility formats FAT32 in such a way that it appears as GPT to OS X but MBR to Windows. Your only choice is to either use Boot Camp Assistant, or to use gdisk to convert the drive from hybrid MBR back to a protective MBR state, so that the FAT32 partition appears as GPT to both OS X and Windows.

3. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Were do you get gdisk? I tried goggling it but I cant seem to find it. Ill also try BCA again when I get home but it didn't have me format the last time I did it. It just created the USB stick and that was all..

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You've to let Boot Camp do the formatting, otherwise you'll end up screwing things up (unless you can get gdisk, which should be easily obtainable off GitHub).

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you let BCA do everything, you won't have to worry about anything. Right now, you should just remove that partition and revert back to a single partition, then use BCA to do everything.

6. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

://
    Ill try it when I get home. Maybe im trying to be to hands on with it. Partitioning on net recovery, then doing BCA. Ill merge it back to 1 drive and try again in about an hour. Thank you for your help, if I have anymore issues ill post them, maybe we can figure it out.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can also merge it back into one drive (i.e. remove the partition you created and resizing it back to a full single partition) from within OS X itself, it's not necessary to boot into Recovery for that.

8. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for all your help. This worked, I merged them back together then BCA did its thing. I twasn't doing the partitioning before as I already did it with disk utility and it thought it was ready. But as you said BCA does it differently. I still had to have windows installer format it but it went smoothly. it's working :)

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Also, FWIW, I kept having problems installing the BootCamp drivers on my 2011 MBP with Win10. I ended up having to run it in compatibility mode for Win8 but it got everything working.