Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
I get this error when trying to partition via boot camp assistant: The installer disc could not be found. Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognised.

I'm using an external USB drive because my Macbook Air doesn't have an optical drive. So I put the ISO on the USB using the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and also tried using command prompt on a Windows 7 computer to no avail. I have tried different USB drives multiple times but I still can't get it to work! I'm running Lion. I've tried to create a partition via Disk Utility but when I boot into the USB it says the partition can't be used for Windows 7 regardless of how many times I format or delete it. Any help?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
When I installed Windows 7 on my Air, I let Bootcamp do everything. Bootcamp created the Windows 7 install stick using and ISO image I just pointed to, downloaded the drivers, partitioned the disk, and rebooted into the stick to kick off the Windows setup process. It was honestly the easiest OS install experience I've ever had.

It's hard to tell from your post but its not clear if you ran Bootcamp and just followed the instructions/wizard or you tried to do something manually.

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
When I installed Windows 7 on my Air, I let Bootcamp do everything. Bootcamp created the Windows 7 install stick using and ISO image I just pointed to, downloaded the drivers, partitioned the disk, and rebooted into the stick to kick off the Windows setup process. It was honestly the easiest OS install experience I've ever had.

It's hard to tell from your post but its not clear if you ran Bootcamp and just followed the instructions/wizard or you tried to do something manually.

What he said!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.