Can't install windows 8.1 on my second internal harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xdawning, Jan 28, 2014.

1. xdawning macrumors newbie

Hello,

I got a macbook pro mid 2012 running on osx maverick 10.9.1. I have an sdd drive as my main with osx running on it and all of my programs and files. So today I bought a caddy for replacing my optical drive with a second harddrive. My idea was to run windows 8 on a partition of my second harddrive and the remaining space for as a second partition for osx. but when I try (with usb) to install it , it says: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". So I heard that that there was a max of 3 partitions for installing windows 8. So now I don't have any solutions, since I got no optical drive anymore.. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks,

xDawning

Schermafbeelding 2014-01-28 om 17.08.15.png

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

are you planning on using Bootcamp or a virtual machine like VmWare?

3. xdawning thread starter macrumors newbie

i want to install windows 8.1 using bootcamp.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

use bootcamp assistant, but I am almost 100% sure you can only install a bootcamp partition on your drive that has OSX installed on it

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The problem you're running into is that Boot Camp Assistant requires Windows be installed from the optical drive onto the primary hard drive.

The only method I have ever seen to get around this that works with even a small degree of success is outlined here, but that's not guaranteed.

6. xdawning, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

xdawning thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible that I open the macbook, put the sdd harddrive out where mac osx is installed, and leave the hdd in. Then boot up via usb and then install windows?