Can't install Windows 8 on MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Pablo90, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Pablo90 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have a MBP 12" mid 2010 with a new HDD where I installed ML.

I want to install in dualboot windows 8, which I need mostly for the Office Suite (the serious one, not the mac one).

I tried creating a partition (FAT) when I cleaned installed ML yesterday (I created one partition for ML that works fine, and a FAT partition where I wanted to install windows 8) but I can't install windows.

I created a win 8 bootable USB with bootcamp, I restarted the mac holding the option key and selected the USB drive. When I have to choose the partition I get the error you can see as attachment.
    I tried clicking "advanced option" and formatting, but nothing changes.

I also tried deleting the partition and creating a new one via utility manager, but still same problem as above.
    I tried installing Tuxera and formatting the partition in NTFS, trying to install win8 and again the same problem. I obviously kept trying to format via the window installer utility.

I also tried creating the partition with bootcamp, but same problem appeared.

I really don't know what to do.

Can you guys please help me?

Thank you,

P.

Attached Files:

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Check with the manufacturer of the HDD to make sure you can use BC with it. Some drives cannot be used for that purpose.

I would always recommend using VirtualBox instead because you don't have to reboot the machine to get to Windows. I know you a do this with Fusion and Parallels as well, but VB is free and it works awesomely for me with my 4 VM(Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux Ubuntu, and Linux Mint).

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You started the EFI version of Windows Setup. When you hold Option choose to start Windows setup, choose the one that doesn't have "EFI" in the name.

4. Pablo90 thread starter macrumors member

Tomorrow I'll check again (it's night here), thank you in the meantime :)

5. Pablo90 thread starter macrumors member

I tried, but there is no other option.. Only EFI Boot.
    How is that? I used BootCamp to create this boot usb drive

Attached Files:

6. Pablo90 thread starter macrumors member

I finally managed to install windows 8...
    I tried everything and nothing worked, so I installed windows 7 with basically no problems and then I updated to windows 8... And everything seems to be working fine...

One more thing: for those who have a flashing dash on black background when booting windows, I noticed it only happens when your windows copy isn't legal..
    I installed a torrent-downloaded copy of seven because it was easier than finding the original one I had... And I had this blinking dash problem.
    I later upgraded to windows 8, with an original copy/legal serial and everything works fine..
    I'm not sure it's actually because of that.. But still.

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny