Can't install Windows for Boot Camp!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by A Macbook Pro, Aug 20, 2011.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

I get this error when trying to partition via boot camp assistant: The installer disc could not be found. Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognised.

I'm using an external USB drive because my Macbook Air doesn't have an optical drive. So I put the ISO on the USB using the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and also tried using command prompt on a Windows 7 computer to no avail. I have tried different USB drives multiple times but I still can't get it to work! I'm running Lion. I've tried to create a partition via Disk Utility but when I boot into the USB it says the partition can't be used for Windows 7 regardless of how many times I format or delete it. Any help?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Are you trying to install Windows 7 on to the external USB drive or the internal drive of the Air ?

BootCamp Assistant only allows you to create a partition on your internal drive and then expects to find a Windows install disc (DVD) when it restarts.

Check out instructions for installing Win7 from USB flash drives....

3. turbotoes macrumors regular

Copy the iso to your MBA (using whichever method you prefer) then run bootcamp assistant and let it do all the work for you. It even allows you to save or print a PDF with full instructions atbthe start of the process.