Can't install windows on tbMBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hiohokaybye, Jan 7, 2017.

1. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I've been trying to install windows using Boot Camp on my MBP but I keep getting this error. Anyone have any clue on how to fix it?

Pressing enter, restarting, deleting/recreating boot camp didn't fix the problem. (Can't press F8 on touch bar either).

Attached Files:

2. Username Here macrumors member

Im sorry, this isnt the answer you might not want to hear....I repeatedly (twice) got the same screen..To make matter worse both times I had to reformat and load my backup it has taken ALL DAY as the new thunderbolt adapter keeps changing transfer speeds, then screen goes black and wont wake up. This is going back tomorrow to BestBuy, along with the dongle...Ill try an XPS.....

3. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

I redownloaded the .iso image from microsoft. Fixed the problem!

I guess the original image was corrupted or something

4. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

If Windows OS is critical to you, of course you should look at a windows PC......

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

It's okay to need both operating systems.

FYI for anyone trying unsuccessfully to get Windows installed - I've had to do it three separate times as my 2016 MBP has been replaced twice now due to the boot camp speaker issue and a faulty key on the keyboard. If you download the W10 ISO from Microsoft, run Boot Camp assistant, it'll auto find the ISO and let you install Windows without having to create bootable install media out of a USB drive.

The catch here is you'll get OP's error or a very similar one if you have any external devices at all hooked up to the computer. It was driving me nuts that it couldn't find the empty-and-waiting Boot Camp partition and I kept having to unpartition and re-partition. Turns out the issue was my USB external was throwing it for a loop.

6. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

If Windows is critical of your job, then you should probably have a windows dedicated machine. It's fine to have both, but relying on software like bootcamp for it is not the best idea, because of the random bugs, compatibility and other issues. If it's not financially critical and you need both for games or other software its probably fine, but if you rely on it for income or something else critical then it's probably wise to get a nice windows machine that you know every time you need it it will work perfectly. At that point it's likely wise to put more money into a more critical machine, and then spend less on a device that you just prefer. I thought it funny though that somebody would return a MAC because it couldn't run Windows due to bugs.

7. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

If you don't use Windows often, have you consider installing Windows on external SSD in USB-3.1 gen.2 enclosure? It will run at 10Gbps speed. You can install directly to external SSD using UEFI without Boot Camp. There are good instruction on Macrumors forum.

I am running Windows 10 on Parallels for mobile use. But I am also running Windows 10 on external SSD enclosure (Akitio Neutrino USB 3.1 gen2) at home.

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

It's been my experience that running Windows using Boot Camp on MacBook Pro is as good or better than a dedicated Windows laptop.

9. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I've had some issues, it's mostly been good although I prefer parallels, I'm not saying it'll run badly or anything, I'm just saying I would never have a different device than the OS that I absolutely need, it would be like running a hackintosh for your professional work. Will it work? Yes, but there isn't nearly as much support or guarantee that it will run smoothly, and one day it might have some weird random glitch that can absolutely destroy your time and money.

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

It's nothing like a Hackintosh. Windows is fully supported on a Mac with no crazy stuff like MacOS on a Hackintosh.

11. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I don't need to argue. Goodluck OP with your issue, and I hope that everybody who relies on bootcamp for their income don't experience any issues with the new MBP, however unless i'm incorrect it has already damaged machines by blowing their speakers (YES it was fixed but it caused quite a nuisance for people in the processes).

12. Username Here macrumors member

I don't use it for income, but for astronomy a hobby...I use the Mac to capture images and if not doing that then bootcamp to control the scope...Been working wonderfully for me for ten years..Sold my latest MBP (2012) and bought the 2016, Im sorry to say a mistake..I don't know whether to exchange this or just return it...I love OSX. The port changes transfer speed constantly, don't know if its the after market (J5 Create) dongle or the MAC or the external drive (3.1) My 2008 Mac Pro is kinda heavy to drag outside and my wife wont let her Air out of her sight !!!!

13. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

That actually sounds really cool. I'd hang on to the '16, since it isn't critical. It's a great machine it just needs some bug fixes.

14. WoodyVuko macrumors newbie

WoodyVuko

I had the same problem and you simply need to download a fresh copy of windows from microsoft -> https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows10ISO

its free and solves every problem - just change the "de-de" part to your country.

btw, I never missed the functions keys before but if you look closely at my picture you will see the problem without function keys.

Attached Files:

15. Chocomonsters, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

Chocomonsters macrumors regular

With new macs, I don't really see many reasons to run Boot Camp instead of just installing Windows directly using UEFI (if one can follow instruction for using diskpart and terminal). Mac drivers can be installed afterwards.

Unless something has changed recently, Boot Camp creates hybrid MBR/GPT that can cause problems.

16. sidewinder, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

As far as I an tell, Boot Camp creates a UEFI install of Windows 10 on the Late 2016 MBP. I think this has been the case for a while with newer Mac systems.

See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)#Startup_Disk

Look at the last line in the "Startup Disk" section.

Yep, I just verified it, Boot Camp created a UEFI install of Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro. There are two easy ways to check from within Windows.

The easiest method is to run the "msifno32" command line tool. Once run, find the line that says:

BIOS Mode

If it says "UEFI", it is a UEFI install. If it is hybrid MBR/GPT install, you will see "Legacy".

For the second way, open this file:

c:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log

Look for this string:

Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment:

If you see the text "UEFI" at the end of the string, it is a UEFI install. If it is hybrid MBR/GPT install, you will see "BIOS".

Based on this, I see no reason to use an unsupported and convoluted method to be able to install and boot Windows 10 since the MBR/GPT hybrid you mentioned is not used.

17. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

Thank you for update on Boot Camp. I haven't used Boot Camp since old Mac Pro.

Does Boot Camp now creates standard partition layout for UEFI (i.e., System/EFI - MSR - Windows - Recovery)? It didn't do that before. Had to use DiskPart and BCDBoot to create standard UEFI partition layout before.

18. sidewinder, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Code:
    $ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0 (internal):
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         1.0 TB     disk0
       1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            899.0 GB   disk0s2
       3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
       4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                100.6 GB   disk0s4
    Code:
    $ sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: mediasize=1000555581440; sectorsize=4096; blocks=244276265
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: PMBR at sector 0
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: Pri GPT at sector 1
    gpt show: /dev/disk0: Sec GPT at sector 244276264
          start       size  index  contents
              0          1         PMBR
              1          1         Pri GPT header
              2          4         Pri GPT table
              6      76800      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
          76806  219482646      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
      219559452     158692      3  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
      219718144   24558080      4  GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7
      244276224         36       
      244276260          4         Sec GPT table
      244276264          1         Sec GPT header

19. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Have you considered loading Oracle's FREE Virtual Box so that you can run Windows in a cage(I mean a window)?

20. mtrout macrumors newbie

mtrout

--- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2017 ---
    I don't think your going to get that to work in Bootcamp....they need uefi firmware to boot to windows 8 or 10 and I don't think bootcamp supports this.....I might be wrong though. You can get a vmplayer on vmware.com....and use that to boot to windows on your mac.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Been using Bootcamp for years and it has been near bullit proof. Just because you had problems, it does not mean we have. I recently did move to a Surfacebook but only because Apple removed all the ports on their devices.

22. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Boot Camp creates a UEFI install of Windows 10 on the Late 2016 MBP. Did you not see that the OP solved his problem and the proof I provided showing that Boot Camp creates a UEFI install??

23. mattoul macrumors newbie

Microsoft has noted on their website that Mac users should install the anniversary update to avoid that issue, then update to the creator's update once you've installed windows

Attached Files: