Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlf1187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I used bootcamp to partition my harddrive. I loaded my xp cd and than got to the point where it asks you if you'd like to: 1. install windows xp; 2. repair xp; or 3. exit. I push enter to install xp, but nothing happens! I've restarted the computer and tried again, but I received the same problem. The computer remains stuck displaying the three options. No matter how many times i push enter nothing happens. What's wrong?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
What version of XP do you have on the CD?

You must be using XP Home/Pro with SP2 and it must be the full retail version - you can't use an upgrade CD because you're not upgrading from anything.

We need more info please.

nlf1187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
It's a full version of XP home. I'm not sure if it has sp2. If it doesn't, is there any way to install it?

kkrull

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
I'm not sure if it has sp2.

If you are not sure then it probably doesn't have SP2. Get a blank CD and try a utility like nLite. Download the network SP2 update (the big one), slipstream it in with your previous disc data and create a new install disc.

oeci

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
xp disc Doesn't work the second time on my mac

I have installed the xp disc once. but i chose a wrong option "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)"
it comes out "Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart"."
but all keys didn't work, so i just turned it off by myself.
I deleted the "bootcamp" which was on my desktop and tried to restart the whole process.
However, it just turned out "black" no word..nothing on....
I tried to restart couple times, still didn't work.
Do you know what I should do to install the xp?
thank you so much!!

oeci

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
xp disc Doesn't work the second time on my mac

I have installed the xp disc once. but i chose a wrong option "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)"
it comes out "Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart"."
I deleted the "bootcamp" which was on my desktop and tried to restart the whole process.
thank you so much!!

kkrull

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
thank you so much!!

It has been a while since I thought about this. If your keyboard stops working you need a firmware update. In 2006 my keyboard only worked a third of the time. (External USB keyboards were an easy work around when installing). Also I would try rEFIt as a bootloader.

oeci

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
It has been a while since I thought about this. If your keyboard stops working you need a firmware update. In 2006 my keyboard only worked a third of the time. (External USB keyboards were an easy work around when installing). Also I would try rEFIt as a bootloader.

But my macbook is new. I got it last week from apple store. Do I need to update??? my keyboard was working.
I tried to install again.
Here is what i did very last time:
1. click the "bootcamp assistant"
2. put the window xp disc in the driver
3. follow the steps (ex. take 32GB for windows) from bootcamp assistant and install the window xp
4. my computer screen turned color black and only has one small white line flashing at the left top corner.
5. I don't it doesn't work, so I turn it off by myself.
6. turn on again
7. starts with OS
8. there was a "bootcamp hard disc" on my desktop (mac OS)
don't know how to install window, it doesn't work.....
Please help....
Thank you very much!

kkrull

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
But my macbook is new. I got it last week from apple store. Do I need to update??? my keyboard was working.
I tried to install again.
Here is what i did very last time:
1. click the "bootcamp assistant"
2. put the window xp disc in the driver
3. follow the steps (ex. take 32GB for windows) from bootcamp assistant and install the window xp
4. my computer screen turned color black and only has one small white line flashing at the left top corner.
5. I don't it doesn't work, so I turn it off by myself.
6. turn on again
7. starts with OS
8. there was a "bootcamp hard disc" on my desktop (mac OS)
don't know how to install window, it doesn't work.....
Please help....
Thank you very much!

Are you willing to install rEFIt? If the partition is already created then you don't need bootcamp other than for drivers which you can get elsewhere. rEFIt is an excellent bootloader that will load the CD to install Windows. That would be my next step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.