Can't install Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yogi786, Jun 3, 2009.

1. yogi786 macrumors newbie

trying to install Legit copy of Windows XP SP2 OEM with Boot Camp 2.0...Partitioned the hardrive to 35GB. Then selected NTFS. windows started to install, however when it finished it was supposed to boot up into windows where it would ask to insert the apple driver cd to load the necessary drivers; however it doesn't boot up into windows it reboots back into leopard...can somebody shed some light?

2. Silv3rF0x macrumors member

Silv3rF0x

You could try to hold the options button down right when you power on the system. I have had to do that in the past where it ask me what drive to boot to.

3. eleven7 macrumors regular

What you described sounds right, do what Silv3rF0x said - Hold the option key down when you see the grey screen at boot up and select Windows. It will then boot into windows and continue the installation process. You may have to do it once more in the installation process if it reboots. Each time you do, you have to do the "hold option and select Windows" step.

4. yogi786 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I installed Vista and yes you have to hold the option key when it reboots. The default boot drive is the OSX partition. If you want to change this so when you have to reboot windows it doesn't automatically go to OSX (you have to reboot windows a lot for updates and things of that nature) you have to go to system preferences, then start-up disc. After that the windows partition should show up and you just click on it to select. After you do this everytime you restart it will go to windows automatically. I don't recommend doing this if you don't use windows a lot because then you will have to hold the option key when the computer starts up if you want to get to OSX which can be a pain.