Can't install WMP plugin for Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fairynanook, Sep 5, 2008.

1. fairynanook macrumors newbie

Ok, so I just bought a macbook pro this past week and am completely new to the mac world. I went to: apple.com/safari/download/plugins.html.

I click get the plugin for WMP on that page and it downloaded a file called wmpfirefoxplugin.exe. Once it is done downloading, I click the show in finder button on the downloads window and it opens the finder to my Downloads folder and that is where the file is. When I try to open that file, it simply opens up a text file, which at the top says that this file cannot be run in DOS mode.

I am not sure what I am supposed to do here. It doesn't come with a read-me file or any instructions. And I have tried to search for an answer with no real success. What am I missing here? Do I need to copy the file into another folder, or how can I install this plugin? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You downloaded the Windows Media plugin for Safari for Windows. You need to go to http://www.microsoft.com/mac and download Flip4Mac, which includes a plug-in for safari.

TEG

3. fairynanook thread starter macrumors newbie

duh

Well that makes sense. I feel stupid now. Thanks for helping me out. :eek:

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

First of all welcome to our Mac world!!Second just a small notification. Files with .exe extension doesn't work on Mac.We have .dmg files over .exe windows users have!;)

5. fairynanook thread starter macrumors newbie

:)

Well thank you for the welcome and the info. You'll have to excuse me because I am a former Windows IT nerd who finally let her creative side take over. So if your windows machine is broken, I am very good at putting out those fires. But I bought my mac because A) there was no denying that they were better for the creative process, and B) I am sick and tired of having to fix bugs and firefight problems before being able to do what I want to. (That holds especially true after last weeks visit to both my parents and in-laws, containing extensive hours sitting in front of their PCs repairing crap that they shouldn't have been messing with in the first place...and cleaning up viruses and phish-ware.)

Hopefully I will get the knack of all this soon though. Any other helpful hints I should know.

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well,check this thread. Some guys there recommend to another Mac user some useful pages! Check them out!