Can't install Xcode on Mountain Lion help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Invasion11, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Invasion11 macrumors newbie

I partitioned my mac to have ML. The size on mac appstore says 1.5GB. I have 3GB on my ML disk. It says i need more room. How much does Xcode 4.5 need?

When making the partition I have 11Gb partition for Mountain Lion. But it said in disk utility i had 5GB remaining. I hadn't even used it yet so what is that 6GB? After install i had 3GB as mentioned above. Is it wise to install ML on an external HD that is used for backups?

2. netslacker macrumors 6502

Why would you give it such a small partition? If I were you I'd stop here and reinstall ML on a larger partition, like 50gb or even more. That way you have room for apps and what not.

Either way, anything you download from MAS will need more than double it's space during installation. 1.5gb for the install files then 1.5+gb to install to then the original 1.5gb download would be deleted.

No, I would not install my OS to an external drive, let alone my backup drive.:eek:

I think your post raises more questions that anyone has answers for...

3. desertman macrumors 6502a

Is your question about installing OS X 10.8 or is it about installing Xcode? Or what is it about?

4. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

Imagine this.
    1.5GB Xcode_4.5_(MacAppStore).dmg
    Mount.
    Copy file to Applications.
    ≥1.5GB Xcode 4.5.app