Can't install XP on Boot Camp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andrew086, Apr 22, 2010.

1. andrew086 macrumors regular

I've been trying to install XP on my new i5 MacBook Pro but after it gets to the part where it says that it's rebooting and it will run automatically, it reboots and tells me to press any key to install XP. If I click that, it starts the installation over again. I found on the Microsoft KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826976) that you can either remove the CD or not click a button when it tells you it will boot from CD. The problem is that if I do that, it says "Disk error" and I have to turn it off.

Sorry if that's confusing - does anyone have any suggestions? (I have an unused copy of Vista, but I'm not sure if I want to use Vista instead....)

2. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

No, don't use Vista! It belongs in OS hell, along with Windows Millennium..

I had this issue recently. When it reboots and says "Press any key to boot from CD..", you should NOT press a key, because it has to boot from the Windows partition to continue the install.

Now, about the disk error you're getting.. During the first part of Windows install, when you get to the part where you choose your file system, you should NOT choose "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)" or "Convert the partition to NTFS". That can screw things up.. Just format the drive with FAT32 or NTFS.

TIP: If you run Snow Leopard (10.6.x) and you insist on having a custom icon for the Windows partition in OS X, do not use NTFS for the Windows partition. Stick with FAT32.. I think some people know what I mean.. ;)

So, to sum up.. Choose your file system manually, and don't press any keys at that boot message. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

3. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that worked :)