Can't install Yosemite from SD card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crucius, Apr 11, 2015.

1. crucius macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I ordered the new MacBook yesterday and I want to sell my MacBook Pro. However, the HDD stopped working so I swapped it with a new SSD. However, I couldn't make a restore via Internet Recovery because the only option I have is to reinstall Yosemite and when I try to do it it gives me an error and won't install and I don't have the original DVDs.

I downloaded Yosemite again on a spare Windows PC and created a bootable SD card (Samsung SDHC 32 Gb) using TransMac (can't remember if this is the right one). After several hours of waiting, I tried booting from the card but when normally I would choose which partition to boot with, there is none and the only thing that appears on the screen is to choose a network. However, if I ignore all of that and go back to the Internet recovery menu and then disk utility, both SSD and SD card appear as mounted.

There's a guy interested in buying the MBP and I would like to have this sorted out right away. Thanks!

Technical details

MacBook Pro mid-2010 base model
    Previous OSX installation: Yosemite
    Desired OSX version: Yosemite
    Installing from: SD card/Internet recovery

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

The software you used likely failed to make the SD card bootable.
    Normally, there should be no issues using SD cards (I used one myself a few years ago), but try a USB flash drive instead. Perhaps your application will have more success with that.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's impossible to create a bootable external OS X device other than using a secondary Mac to do it, via DiskMaker X, as far as I know.

5. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

You are wrong, though, as I have done it in the past (not on mine, however). At any rate I don't have another Mac until I receive my new MacBook and that may take a long while apparently. I need to do this today to sell it. I will try using another media, and perhaps another application as well. If some of you have other tips be my guest!

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Older versions of OS X like Lion and Mountain Lion could be done, because it just involved re-imaging the InstallESD.dmg onto a USB device.

It's no longer the case in Mavericks and Yosemite.

7. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, right! So if I can get a copy of mountain lion I'm good to go? There are loads of tutorials using Yosemite, so I just assumed it would work the same. Sorry.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- If you've previously downloaded it from the Mac App Store, it will be available for download under "Purchases".

9. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Of course. Sorry about that.
    Try looking a few inches up and to the right on your screen.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, but first, do you have access to a Mac to get the ML image?

Oh and you might want to reconsider.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/10/hacker_digs_up_os_x_root_backdoor/

Anything older than 10.10.2 is affected (and remains unpatched) by this vulnerability.

12. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

I do have an ML image, and I will update to Mavericks and then Yosemite after having something running on my Mac.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

14. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

Still doesn't work. I'm starting to get a bit desperate, the computer is right now a glorified paperweight...

15. priitv8 macrumors 68020

A TimeMachine Backup would do as well. If it was done, and properly (i.e. without exclusion of system files).

16. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

Anyways, eventually I got hold of the original dvds and was able to install snow leopard and from the onwards was just a question of updating.