Can't keep 27" Cinema Display asleep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dacreativeguy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

I just bought a 2010 27" Cinema Display (pre TB) and it is pretty awesome. The only problem is that I can't keep the *#@! thing sleeping when I'm not using it!

I've got it connected to a MacMini which acts as my media server. So I don't need the monitor on very often. I could just turn off the old Dell Display, but Apple left the power button off. :(

The computer never sleeps, so I set the display to sleep after 5 mins and set up a hot corner to drag the mouse to turn it off. But it randomly turns back on.

I've played with unchecking the "network wake" option in power mgmt, but not sure that makes any sense since the computer is set to never sleep.

Any ideas on what else could be doing it? I don't think it is from touching the mouse or keyboard.

If I can't figure it out, I may just have to put it on its own power strip and turn it off at the source. :(

2. moxxey macrumors regular

If "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is turned on, this will often cause the system to come out of sleep, particularly if you use a bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse.

I had exactly the same problem. The only way around this was to purchase the wired version of the Apple keyboard, connect to the Cinema Display and turn off the mouse after putting to sleep.

With the wireless keyboard, the system kept waking up from sleep.