Can't Kill Apps in 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MotionxxUSxx, Mar 20, 2009.

1. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

Anyone else having this issue. If you hold down the home key for 5 seconds the apps no longer quit.

2. richg916 macrumors regular

3. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So what do u do to force quit an app? Force quit the whole phone, force restarting it?

4. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

As of now a power off or full reboot if the app is frozen.

5. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Could there actually be a reason why they're doing this or just something they overlooked?

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

3.0 is still beta. Report it as a bug to Apple please.

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

Most likely it's just a bug causing the function to not work. I can't see why they would purposefully remove that from a beta, since the instability of a beta would need the force quit more than a final version. As dejo said, something like this should certainly be reported to Apple in a bug report. The more people that report it, the more it'll bring it to their attention and get taken care of.

It doesn't work on mine either, and I'm assuming it's happening to everyone, so it's not just something specific to you.

8. Haephestos macrumors regular

Or maybe............

[Conspiracytheory]
    The hold down for 5 seconds in firmware 3.0 is for use in making apps background with the new iPhone hardware!
    [/Conspiracytheory]

9. dancavallaro macrumors regular

In a thread over on the Apple iPhone Dev Center forums, an Apple employee said that the 5-second Home button hold doesn't work anymore, and you just press the Home button once to force kill frozen apps. Of course, this means that there is no way to force quit apps like Mail, when it gets stuck downloading an attachment, for example.

10. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well that's lame if true.

Haephestos: if background apps do work in the next iPhone (which they might) then pushing the home button will probably just switch back to the home screen, I would think.

11. Haephestos macrumors regular

:D It was a conspiracy theory! But my idea was:
    • One press to quit
    • Hold for 5 secs to Background
    • Hold for 10 secs to force quit
    Exactly the same as the backgrounder JB app.

12. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Either that or it's just a simple bug. If it was going to be that, wouldn't the app still quit if you hold it for 10 seconds?Can anyone with 3.0 test that please?