Can't Launch / Update iDVD 5 -- Weird

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spetznatz, Mar 31, 2009.

1. spetznatz macrumors regular

spetznatz

Every time I dbl-click on iDVD.app I get the message "You cannot use this version of iDVD.app with this version of OS X." It's version 5.0.1.

Get Info shows iDVD to be a PowerPC app -- shouldn't in run in Rosetta? And shouldn't there be an option under Get Info to force it to launch with Rosetta?

And neither the 603 or 703 installers / updaters will touch it. They say there's "No eligible iDVD Application in /Applications."

Any ideas?

2. torchwood04 macrumors regular

Try using the iDVD 5.0.1 updater, that is the final version of iMovie 5.. Also, what OSX version are you on?

Oh, I know the problem, iDVD won't run in Rosetta, you need at least iDVD 6 as part of iLife 06.. As that's the first Universal Binary, which will run on Intel macs.. SOme apps can't run in Rosetta, or would very slowly. iDVD is one of those apps.. iLife 09 would also work.. So would 08..

3. spetznatz thread starter macrumors regular

spetznatz

Thanks, Torchwood --

That's odd, I've never come across that problem before (and I use some heavyweight apps)...

4. torchwood04 macrumors regular

They may already be Universal (PPC/Intel) or Intel only applications that you're using. By the way, assuming you're running the Octo Mac Pro in your signature, didn't your Mac Pro come with a Universal version of iLife? It should have..

5. spetznatz thread starter macrumors regular

spetznatz

I used the PPC version of LightWave under Rosetta quite happily (except for rendering speed ;)

I thought Mac Pros didn't ship with iLife? I thought it was only IMacs/books & minis?

Oh well, have to get the box out of the attic...

6. torchwood04 macrumors regular

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just to save everyone some trouble, iDVD 5 is completely incompatible with Leopard. You need either iLife 06, 08, or 09. And if you used an upgrade/retail disc to get to Leopard, it did not come with iLife, so you will have to go out and buy one of those 3 versions of software. You also cannot leapfrog versions of iDVD, say 5.0.1 to 6.0.4 or 7.0.3, without purchasing the applicable software itself. There were no changes implemented upon iDVD with the introduction of iLife 09.

8. spetznatz thread starter macrumors regular

spetznatz

Right, well...

I got my Mc Pro discs out (10.4.7) , installed iDVD from there into 10.5.6. Says I now have iDVD 6.0.2 (Universal).

I still get exactly the same message when I try to launch it, and the 7.0.2 updater won't touch it.

Bah.

9. torchwood04 macrumors regular

Download the updater to either 6.0.4, then see what happens.. The iDVD 7.x update will not update version 6.x..