Can't listen to amazon.com song samples

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fairnymph, Jun 2, 2007.

1. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I would like to listen to some samples of songs from an album I'm considering buying.

I flatly refuse to install RealPlayer.

Neither the amazon music sampler nor the windows media player options work for me. I have the stupid plugin installed for AMS (flip4mac, it's called) and I have WMP. No matter what I do, when I click on listen, I'm told that the plugin is not installed.

I am running Firefox. I also refuse to install IE.

Ideas?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I won't install this, I won't install that... maybe the first idea is that you should attend anger management.

I'm pretty sure AMS uses Flash -- do you have Adobe Flash installed, or is that also on the list of things you refuse to do?

3. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

RealPlayer is a really terrible program, likewise for IE. Yes, I have anger problems.

I do have Adobe Flash installed.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The AMS works for me in both FF and in Safari if I use spoofing. I looked at it more closely, and I have to apologize, now I'm not 100% sure what it uses or how it works. But it does seem to work.

Do you get the pop-up window at all when you click a listen link for the AMS?

EDIT: Also by the way, the WMP popup does seem to play using Flip4Mac on both Firefox and Safari.

5. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

I concur.

I have always hated real player. Likewise, refuse to install it on any of our machines.

That said, I guess my answer is refusing to use Amazon... if more did this, then Real Player would no longer be supported by vendors.

Support someone else, there are other music stores.

6. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

tempques - I already installed the plugin. No dice.

mrkrishnan - Did you install anything, or did it just work automatically for you? What is spoofing? I do get the popup window, see below:

[​IMG]

RGunner - Thank you! Unfortunately, this is a rather obscure group. I've heard ONE song by them and I love it, but I don't want to spend $9 on the album if the rest is crap, and I cannot find the songs on torrent or such.