Can't listen to video podcasts as audio?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mashinhead, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

On of my favorite features was that if I hit a video podcast on my phone, unless i was actually in the video tab, it would just play as audio...now gone?

2. dranakin macrumors 6502

Most video podcasts have an audio version as well, but you can try this this:

Play the video podcast and then hit the sleep button. The audio should still be playing, or at least it does on mine.

EDIT: You know, let me check that last one again. It may have kept playing, I can't remember.

3. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

4. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Yeah I loved that feature on my ipod touch. It took a little getting used to remembering which ones were video or not.

AND I have a certain one (5 minute video podcast) that when I try to play it from the podcast tab, hard resets the Iphone 3g every time I try to play it. If I hit the video tab it plays just fine. but restarts iphone from the podcast tab.

5. cazlar macrumors 6502

Hmm, I used to love this feature too, as if I just wanted to listen, I knew I wasn't burning battery letting my pocket see all the video action.

Hitting sleep shuts down the playback on mine. Boo.

Edit: I just posted on Apple's discussion board, and might leave feedback too asking them to revert the behaviour, or at least give us an option. In the meantime, I found a post where someone has found a workaround that seems to work:

If you start playing the video podcast, and then turn off the screen, and then double-tap the home button to bring up the iPod controls over the unlock screen, and then hit play, you will get audio with no video.