Can't live without 3D Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I just wanted to take a minute to tout how necessary 3d touch is.

I use every time I go to safari and opera browser.

It makes things faster.

I didn't realize how imperative it was until today.

I got a Samsung phone via their test drive program.

And while the phone is premium and really good, not having 3D Touch makes it feel out dated.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Glad to hear someone actually praising 3D Touch rather than complain about it (when it can easily be turned off).

4. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

I still haven't adapted to using 3D Touch in any significant way or form. Its still just a party trick for me.

Apple needs to calibrate the keyboard scrolling function. I always have to press mega hard for it to register instead of typing a single letter.

EDIT: I do have it set to max sensitivity

5. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

I use it for:

Opening app manager (better and quicker than double tapping the home button once you get used to it)

Moving cursor around by 3D touching the keyboard (amazing feature)

Previewing messages in what's app so it doesn't appear as 'read'

As for actually using it with Apps, so far I don't think it's any better than opening them the old fashioned way, might change in the future.

6. nordique, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

nordique macrumors 6502a

I thought it was a gimmick myself, from the moment it was rumoured on the then-nameless "9th gen iPhone"

At launch I barely used it, and I still thought it was a gimmicky feature. I bought the 6s for the internal spec upgrades, namely the A9 and the 2GB of Ram...3D touch was still gimmicky to me then

Today, I too feel similar to the OP at times...I now use it frequently and its my main method of switching apps. I don't remember the last time I clicked the home button twice, sometimes I don't even press the home button at all (just touch it for touch ID)...its pretty incredible how that change occurred.

When I go to my 6P or 5s, I often find myself wishing I could use 3D touch and sometimes find myself pressing into those screens by way of habit. That was the moment I realized I had converted to 3D touch use without even realizing it!

Its definitely a really cool feature.

Edit: Its surprisingly natural and simple to go into the multitask switcher; when multitasking between several apps I find its a lot faster to multitask with than pressing the home button twice. For example, 3D touch between Microsoft Word and Excel when doing work on the go and use the 3D touch to activate the cursor on the keyboard...it makes using a phone so much easier than before to do work. I feel productive when commuting on public transit now haha

Hopefully Apple really expands on this feature set with the next iPhone and the next iOS

7. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

It is a cool feature but I forget it's there half the time.

8. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I forget how much I use it till I go to my iPad Air 2 and it's not there.

9. nordique macrumors 6502a

Yeah this was how I noticed that I used it more than I realized too! Go to a 3D touch-less device and all of a sudden you find yourself using it and realizing its not there. Its a feeling of "whoa, this feels old now"

haha

10. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

11. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I'm hoping it makes it to the next iPad air, I'm already pushing down on mine.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It's really inconsistent for me. Like when you try to switch apps with 3d touch. Sometimes it triggers, sometimes it doesn't.

same with the keyboard. Sometimes you get teh cursor, sometimes it just ends up selecting the key you are pressing over.

13. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

It's funny 3D Touch was one of the reasons why I bought it but after a few weeks I used it less than a dozen and majority was showing it off.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You can not live with out it?

Really? I seldom if ever use it and I am fine.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I still use it all the time. Quick Look for Safari links and Mail messages, entering the app switcher, moving the cursor when typing text. It's a great feature.

It helps to set sensitivity to light, and takes some getting used to. For me it works great, and I wish the functionality could be extended to landscape mode as well.
    3D Touch on the keyboard can be somewhat unreliable. I still miss SwipeSelect, which I had installed some months back when my iPhone 5s was jailbroken. The 3D Touch implementation is nice, but isn't quite there yet.

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Someone else said that if works consistently if you just wait a second for the cursor to start blinking, and i found that to be true. If you try it before the cursor blinks, it just selects the key.

17. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

I must admit that I use it and find it very useful when I can remember to use it.

18. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, that does appear to be the case. Hopefully the delay will be fixed in a future iOS update, and I'm surprised it hasn't been already.

19. appledefenceforce macrumors 6502

appledefenceforce

I use it subconsciously all the time now, even in apps that don't support it.

20. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Love it and use it all the time. Love the email peek then slide the email to the trash right from the peek screen.

21. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yes 3D Touch has been a game changer for me too. I use it mainly for....

- Shortcuts when opening apps

- Previewing messages and URLs

- Switching between apps

As of yet, I'm not sure whether 3D Touch is as much of a game changer as Touch ID was when it debuted on the 5S. But still, I do feel like I have been spoiled by it. For example, I have a regular 6 for my work phone and at least once per day I find myself pressing on the screen and then I suddenly remember that it doesn't have 3D Touch. Actually 3D Touch is the reason I would not buy an iPad right now simply because Apple hasn't brought 3D Touch to the iPad lineup yet and I don't want to go back to an iOS device that doesn't have 3D Touch just like I wouldn't want to go back from Touch ID to passwords either.

22. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Now you get a sense for how great it's been to be able to long press on Android!

23. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I love 3D Touch. Use it mainly for app switching, quick dialling and quick texting.

24. Acevesx macrumors regular

25. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I think Apple may have modified this in iOS 9.2 because now it's almost impossible for me to access the cursor. I even tried adjusting the sensitivity in settings, but no matter how hard I press it still registers it as a regular touch. It's incredibly frustrating because this is the only 3D touch feature I really use.