can't load com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erzeszut, Nov 16, 2011.

1. erzeszut macrumors regular

13" MB Pro, running OS X 10.6.8. Purchased late 2010.

User tells me she downloaded new iTunes from Software Update, nothing else. After reboot, machine gets to grey Apple logo screen and that's it. No boot.

Can boot from 10.6 DVD. Disk Utility finds no problems with the disk, repairs some minor permissions issues.

Apple Hardware Test finds no hardware errors.

Cannot boot into safe mode. Same result.

CAN boot into either Single user (Cmd-S) or Verbose (Cmd-V) modes. Both report:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
    kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement]: _lapic_start_
    Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - link failed
    Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
    Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement failed to load (0xdc008016)
    Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (error 0xdc008016)

Anybody seen this before? Google searches bring up lots of people complaining about this on Hackintosh forums, trying to get OS X to run on non-Apple hardware. That is not the case here.

I'm fairly decent with Terminal -- is this something where I could copy the file from another MBP (same model)? I've looked on my own machine, can't find where this is stored.

Suggestions appreciated.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. erzeszut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Copying that .kext from another MBP had no effect. Starting to suspect hard drive failure. Since it's covered under AppleCare, it's time to let the Geniuses figure it out.

4. Mersailios macrumors regular

You could also try connecting the computer to another Mac in Target Disk Mode and installing the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update (Combined) to the volume to see if that resolves the issue.