Can't Load OSX - Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattwe, Aug 15, 2009.

1. mattwe macrumors member

My wife was attempting to load the most recent updates onto her MB, the update failed (not sure exactly which one) and now OSX won't load. She gets a "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM" panic and it won't go any farther - neither in safe mode nor single user mode. I booted off of my computer's recovery disc (I haven't found hers yet - we recently moved) and used Disk Utility to repair the disk and the disk permissions, but it still won't load.

I found this thread with a similar issue (although the author has a different kernel version), but it didn't offer much insight into a solution.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

reinstall the os?

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

if you can figure out what updates went wrong you can probably boot into Target Disk mode and plug it into your mac. From there download the update packages from the apple site and install them onto your wife's hdd.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If you have a known-good backup (Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc), restore from it. Otherwise, Archive and Install. Either way, once it's done, download the 10.5.8 combo updater and run it.

5. mattwe thread starter macrumors member

Even though I constantly pester, she is less than good about backing up, so I am assuming the last time that happened was when I did it - about 1.5 years ago.

The problem with Archive/Install is that I can't find our Leopard disc (I am running from the original disc for my MBP - which won't load OSX onto her computer).

Good thinking with the target disk mode, I will try that out and report back.

6. mattwe thread starter macrumors member

Good call with the target disk mode - installed the OSX 10.5.8 update and everything seems to be back to normal. At least long enough so the wife will actually back things up right now :rolleyes:

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Glad to hear it Matt. Good luck convincing her to do scheduled backups :D