Can't Load Safari After OS Re-install

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BWCDoc, May 25, 2014.

1. BWCDoc, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

BWCDoc macrumors newbie

My PPC G4 MDD was getting hinky so after about five years I decided to do an archive and re-install of Leopard (10.5.8).

I backed up my important files but, like an idiot, I did not make a disk image. This was no problem until I re-established my browsers. I lost my bookmarks. Fortunately, I did have an older disc image from which I was able to import almost all of my bookmarks. Let that be a lesson to everyone - always make a disk image backup before (re)installing an OS!

Now for my problem. I use Camino and Safari browsers. Camino is O.K. but Safari will not load now. The error statement says that it cannot find _WebFrameHasUnloadListener in the file WebKit. I've located WebKit in the path /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit but it is darkened i.e. not usable. When opening it, I get a message in Terminal that states that it cannot execute binary file logout.

Does anyone know how to repair this missing item short of re-installing the system again? I really need Safari since I use it to open some sites that Camino cannot handle.

Any help is extremely appreciated!

Edit...
    I'm running a 7450 CPU (i.e. non-Intel)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. BWCDoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Weaselboy. I failed to mention that my machine does not have an Intel processor so the latest version of Safari that runs on it is 5.0.5.

Nonetheless, I have already tried to download Safari several times from different sources with no luck - I get the same error statement.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... odd. :confused: This is right after the install of 10.5.8? You never installed any Safari tweaks like SIMBL or that sort of thing?

5. BWCDoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. I have three HD's and Safari is on two of them. I also have it archived on a couple of older disc images. I have been unable to open it from any of those locations.

This would make sense if the problem resides in the corrupted Webkit file. Any idea how to fix it or download a corrected version?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry... I am kinda out of ideas. This is a puzzler. :(

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Have you simply tried uninstall safari and reinstalling it?

Could you have a harddrive going bad?

8. BWCDoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well folks, I figured it out with a hint from (our Ag. Sec. :D ) Tom Vilsack.

I had been dragging and downloading Safari into my application folder multiple times without success. Tom reminded me that there are other files associated with the application that are not affected - although I had assumed that downloading a new copy would overwrite them - and that uninstalling Safari should eliminate them. So, I used Clean My Mac to get rid of them. And guess what? It didn't work.

While pondering how Clean My Mac missed the files that I wanted removed, I remembered another program that everyone should have in their utility folder, Pacifist. Among other things, Pacifist will force a copy of an application to be written whether the original is corrupted (my scenario) or if it is a newer version (and you want to install an older version). I opened Pacifist, dropped Safari onto it and it loaded all of its files, including a clean version of the one that was preventing it from working. Now Safari works perfectly.

So, thanks to everyone that had suggestions. Without you I would have never figured out this problem.