can't load XP SP3 in Boot Camp 3.0 (SL)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by robo456, Aug 31, 2009.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Hi guys... I decided to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard on my MacBook. Everything was looking good on the "mac side" so I was ready to re-load my XP SP2 via the Boot Camp Assistant (3.0?).

Everything seemed to go well, I made a 32gb partition formatted with NTFS (quick) during the install. Got to the desktop, ran the boot camp driver installation, and all the hardware was configured properly. After that, I tried to run service pack 3. (i've also tried via Windows Update and get the same error) It gets about 2/3 thru the install and gives me:

"an error occurred while copying file osloader.ntd"

I hit cancel to abort it.. it goes thru the software uninstaller to clear out what it tried to do and I noticed it taking off files from the "G:" drive (which Windows sees as my mac partition) I always thought they were two separate entities.

Anyway, I'm trying again from scratch to see if I messed something up in the process, but has anyone else had problems getting SP3 to work?

I've googled and searched here, without much luck. Thanks for any info!

***EDIT***
    After a little more searching, I came across:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3841

--rob

2. moxlotus macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the exact same problem. But i think the cause of it is because its trying to copy the file to the Mac PArtition instead of the Windows System Partition

3. Strolls macrumors newbie

I just hit the same error.

An alternative way of overcoming it is:
    • Cancel out of the SP3 install (or just follow these steps before even starting it, if you read about this before encountering the problem yourself)
    • Right-click on my computer and choose manage
    • On the left hand side, under "Storage" choose "Disk Management"
    • Right-click on the OS X partition (Macintosh HD or whatever) and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
    • Highlight the drive letter in the big white box (F: in my case) and click on the "Remove" button. This does not remove the partition itself, it only removes the drive letter allocated to it. You get two warnings - just confirm your decision.
    • Reboot the computer and then when that's done, perform the installation of Service Pack 3. The computer will reboot when it's finished.
    • Right-click on my computer and choose manage, choose "Disk Management" again, right-click on the OS X partition (Macintosh HD or whatever) and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
    • Click on the "Add" button and in the new window that pops up choose the same drive letter that the partition was using before. Click "ok" and confirm your choice as necessary.

I prefer this method as I think it's a little more "elegant" than messing around by hand with driver files in the System32 folder. I'd expect System Restore to dislike you doing that (maybe that's why Apple say not to let SP3 reboot the machine automatically). Also, when using only a trackpad, I find it clumsy to rename files in Windows Explorer.

This does exactly the same thing as the method described in the Apple Support article - it prevents Windows from seeing the Apple partition & trying to write the file to that, but it does so using Windows' own GUI instead of frikkin' around with the hidden files in hidden folder where there be dragonz.

I've just tested this method myself & it works perfectly (just as I expected it to), and I've rebooted (in Windows, rebooted to Mac OS X and then rebooted back into Windows again.

On my Windows installation the Windows system drive is shown as "C:", the optical drive as "D:" and the OS X volume is shown as "F:". I was tempted to change them so that the Windows system drive remains as "C:", but the OS X volume is "D:" and the optical drive as "E:" - I would regard this as a "neater layout" (not that I care too much, as I hardly use Windows anymore, but I would have cared back in the days when I was a Windows geek). However I'm just reinstalling OS X and XP on the MacBook I sold on Sunday, and I want to get it shipped out today - I'm pretty sure it's safe to change the partitions that way, but I didn't want to risk it, because if it did foul things up (and require a whole OS X reinstall) I'd miss the shipping deadline & earn myself a neg on eBay. Like I say, I'm pretty sure this is safe.

HTH anyone else encountering this glitch,

Stroller.

4. jincheker macrumors newbie

5. Strolls macrumors newbie

Uh, the one that's been posted TWICE already in this thread?!?!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you guys insist on installing XP3 fine, but I would suggest you not do it. You'd be better with XP2 and then installing patches from there. XP3 is quite buggy, and can really mess up everything for you, such that you have to start all over again. At one time I had XP3 and it crashed my computer with the BSOD. I then searched on problems with it, and saw many. Anyway, just a FYI.

7. Strolls macrumors newbie

LOL! You should get a National Hilarity Award for that one, mate.

8. Mark Wakeman macrumors newbie

Boot Camp And Service Pack 3

I've had a similar problem - I get about a quarter of the way through installation and a dialogue box informs me it can't copy osloader.ntd.......

I am now stuck!!!

If anyone has a solution, then good to hear from you......alternatively, has anyone any idea if Windows 7 can be used with boot camp?

Mark

9. Strolls macrumors newbie

10. GCsCoast macrumors newbie

Same issue - Excellent outcome

:)Hi Strolls,
    Thank you for the excellent step-by-step instructions above.
    I spent 3 days trying to solve this issue, finally found your solution and it worked to the T. Thank you very much.
    My only question would be, have many installed SP3 and experienced the issues mentioned?

Thank you and regards,
    GCsCoast

11. GCsCoast macrumors newbie

SP3 Initially installed - further updates - same procedure

Hi again Strolls,
    As above, worked a treat. I reasigned Drive G: to my Mac Partition and then rebooted. After this, SP3 was installed and requested SP3 updates.
    Should you follow the same procedure to install SP3 updates, disabling Mac Drive, or can you install SP3 updates. I suppose by the time you answer this I may well have tried both ways to confirm.
    Thanks again.

GCsCoast

12. Strolls macrumors newbie

I think this problem only applies to the service packs themselves - I think you'll find that subsequent smaller updates don't necessitate this intervention.

13. harvey-pogo macrumors newbie

osloader cure

Many thanks to "stroller" for this fix. I have just bought a Mac after receiving praise for the machines from family and friends, and being assured I could run all my Windows stuff on it until I found my way around the Mac systems. So following the failure of sp3 to load my first though was 'here we go again!' I was extremely grateful to find an easy to follow fix on line and I hope I may be able to return the favour one day.

14. barem macrumors newbie

What about starting with an SP3 disk?

I am trying a new install with a disk that already has SP3 on it, not upgrading from SP2 to SP3, and I have the same problems at "Setup is copying files... 38%". Meaning, I don't have the option to click on My Computer, because Windows has not completed the initial installation. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thx.

15. Strolls macrumors newbie

Then this problem is not related to this thread.

16. barem macrumors newbie

Please excuse my ignorance if this is the wrong place, but my problem was exactly the title of the thread "can't load XP SP3 in Boot Camp 3.0 (SL)". Actually, as luck may have it, 3rd try was a charm... it installed all the files! Thanks anyway.

17. toxicasset macrumors newbie

XP Service Pack 3 install - Bootcamp

Havn't read through the whole of this thread but here's the problem:

Windows is not the first partition which the installer sees on the hard drive!!

If Mac HDD appears in My computer then SP3 is never going to install!

Go into 'My Computer'

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Locate 'AppleMNT' and rename it eg. 'Apple MNT_keep'

Reboot into windows and just check that The Mac HDD is no longer visible in 'My Computer'

Go ahead and install XP SP3

D Fletcher

18. Strolls macrumors newbie

Please don't bother replying, then. Doing so is liable to result in posting redundant or incorrect information.

The solution you described is linked to in the very first post. Other posts suggest alternative methods.

19. twenty8special macrumors newbie

LOL... I could maybe see if the thread was 100 pages long... but 18 posts? Thats just lazy.

BTW, thanks for the help. Worked great.

20. rilicic macrumors newbie

I just hit the same error.

An alternative way of overcoming it is:
    Cancel out of the SP3 install (or just follow these steps before even starting it, if you read about this before encountering the problem yourself)
    Right-click on my computer and choose manage
    On the left hand side, under "Storage" choose "Disk Management"
    Right-click on the OS X partition (Macintosh HD or whatever) and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
    Highlight the drive letter in the big white box (F: in my case) and click on the "Remove" button. This does not remove the partition itself, it only removes the drive letter allocated to it. You get two warnings - just confirm your decision.
    Reboot the computer and then when that's done, perform the installation of Service Pack 3. The computer will reboot when it's finished.
    Right-click on my computer and choose manage, choose "Disk Management" again, right-click on the OS X partition (Macintosh HD or whatever) and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
    Click on the "Add" button and in the new window that pops up choose the same drive letter that the partition was using before. Click "ok" and confirm your choice as necessary.

I prefer this method as I think it's a little more "elegant" than messing around by hand with driver files in the System32 folder. I'd expect System Restore to dislike you doing that (maybe that's why Apple say not to let SP3 reboot the machine automatically). Also, when using only a trackpad, I find it clumsy to rename files in Windows Explorer.

This does exactly the same thing as the method described in the Apple Support article - it prevents Windows from seeing the Apple partition & trying to write the file to that, but it does so using Windows' own GUI instead of frikkin' around with the hidden files in hidden folder where there be dragonz.

I've just tested this method myself & it works perfectly (just as I expected it to), and I've rebooted (in Windows, rebooted to Mac OS X and then rebooted back into Windows again.

On my Windows installation the Windows system drive is shown as "C:", the optical drive as "D:" and the OS X volume is shown as "F:". I was tempted to change them so that the Windows system drive remains as "C:", but the OS X volume is "D:" and the optical drive as "E:" - I would regard this as a "neater layout" (not that I care too much, as I hardly use Windows anymore, but I would have cared back in the days when I was a Windows geek). However I'm just reinstalling OS X and XP on the MacBook I sold on Sunday, and I want to get it shipped out today - I'm pretty sure it's safe to change the partitions that way, but I didn't want to risk it, because if it did foul things up (and require a whole OS X reinstall) I'd miss the shipping deadline & earn myself a neg on eBay. Like I say, I'm pretty sure this is safe.

HTH anyone else encountering this glitch,

Stroller.

These help to continue without the osloader.ntd error, but don`t help to install sp3, the installation stops after 3/4 made and only telling it could not be installed.
    what to do-

thanks!

21. rilicic macrumors newbie

Havn't read through the whole of this thread but here's the problem:

Windows is not the first partition which the installer sees on the hard drive!!

If Mac HDD appears in My computer then SP3 is never going to install!

Go into 'My Computer'

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Locate 'AppleMNT' and rename it eg. 'Apple MNT_keep'

Reboot into windows and just check that The Mac HDD is no longer visible in 'My Computer'

Go ahead and install XP SP3

D Fletcher

like the one before, it helps to prevent the osloader.ntd error, but stops, after 3/4 of instalation process, with only an error message, with some file not find explanation. Why?
    What I should do?

22. rilicic macrumors newbie

sp 3

And Anyway

Cancel out of the SP3 install (or just follow these steps before even starting it, if you read about this before encountering the problem yourself)

How to Cancel out of the SP3 install?

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Please use the quote/muti-quote buttons! It's hard to distinguish what you are saying from what you are quoting from others' posts.

Are you installing SP3 from a download or via Windows/Microsoft Update?

I would first double check the integrity of the SP3 file. Download a fresh copy of the full installer and check the checksum.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

Great. They're not publishing a checksum for this one. :-(.

If that still doesn't work, please report the exact error you are seeing.

Once it gives you the error it should abort on its own.

B