Can't log in due to kernel panic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jvm, Jan 15, 2010.

1. jvm macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone. I have 2-year old MBP out of warranty and unfortunately I won't have a chance to go down to an Apple Store to get the problem diagnosed for another couple weeks at least.

I get a kernel panic message at startup right after the gray screen with the logo, at the point when the login screen should appear.

In single user mode, I ran the "/sbin/fsck -fy" command and on the first try, it repaired something and on subsequent tries, it says everything appears to be OK. While in this mode, I tried checking the panic log but nothing recent shows up in it.

I was able to successfully log in normally twice: The first time, I restarted from the DVD to run Disk Utility. Everything came up OK. I then was able to log in again, but the computer froze within minutes.

I've already reset the PRAM and NVRAM. I also tried resetting the SMC but don't know if that did anything or not. Since the panics, the battery indicator does seem to be weird: I've only been using it with the AC plugged in and it will tell me it's fully charged one time and the next time I use it, it'll be red the whole time.

I can't do the following:
    - Boot from DVD
    - Boot in safe mode

I can:
    - Run Apple Hardware Test from the DVD (I ran the basic test 5 times and the extended test once... they all came back clear)
    - Use single user and verbose modes without any issues (however, if I choose to start up the system while staying in single user mode, it'll freeze)

If there's any other info that I can provide, let me know.
    I appreciate any insight! Thank you!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Does it work with the battery removed altogether?

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

from what I understand, KP can also be a software problem. Do you have a back-up of your data? Try a fresh installation since it seems your hardware tests come back clean.

4. jvm thread starter macrumors newbie

The kernel panic still happens.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to make another backup but it doesn't seem possible right now since I can only use single user mode.

How do I do a fresh installation? I can't boot up from DVDs for some reason, even though I can use AHT (so I know it's not a disc or drive issue).

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You can run the hardware tests from the DVD but can't boot from it?

Hold down the option key when you boot.

6. jvm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. The screen where I can choose to boot up from the DVD will appear, I make the selection and the optical drive will make the usual whirring sounds but it still panics before it moves past the gray logo screen. It does take longer for the KP to show up though (2 or 3 minutes of the gear spinning when trying the DVD vs. a minute or less normally).

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Take it in to the shop. Your computer is borked.