Can't log in on MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by edock123, Sep 27, 2009.

1. edock123 macrumors newbie

I'm on a mid 2008 black MacBook, running Snow Leopard and I can't log in. I know my password is correct. When I put my password in, The screen changes to my background for a bit, but the dock never shows up, and eventually it cuts to a blue screen, then back to the starting page. I've tried booting it up in safe mode, and resetting my PRAM, but neither worked. I was thinking about doing an Archive and Install, but I'm not sure how to go about that when I can't log in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Doing and archive and install will require you booting of your SL DVD. Might be worth trying this too before you attempt the reinstall - Boot of the DVD and run disk utility and verify the disk and permissions.

3. edock123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried this, but I still can't log in. Any other suggestions? How exactly do I do an archive and install on SL anyway?

4. edock123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it seems that I've royaly screwed things up. I followed the directions here:http://intlect.com/how-to-archive-and-install-os-x-snow-leopard/, and everything is messed up. I'm still logging in through the same account, but I can't get on the internet, it keeps asking for my admin name and password, which I give it, but it won't except it. A bunch of other small things are acting up too. This is not good. :(

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If it is not accepting your password u can boot of the DVD and x
    change your password there

6. edock123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I think everything is back in working order. Thanks for the help!