Can't log in to YouTube on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rspeaker, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rspeaker macrumors 6502

So I'm running OS 3.0 on my iPhone 3G. When i try logging into my YouTube account, it says authentication failed. The log in information is correct; I have no problem logging in on my computer. Anyone else having this issue? Suggestions?

EDIT: Figured it out. You have to confirm your email address with Youtube before it will allow you to log in on the phone. Didn't see this in any literature, but good to know.

2. ebika macrumors 6502

I'm running into the same issue. How exactly do you confirm your email address if you use your gmail account as my credentials?

3. gary001 macrumors member

I have the same issue. It's really starting to bug me too since I jut got the 3GS. I want to upload my videos!! Ugh! How do I authenticate my email? I tried just changing it to the same one so it would send me a new confirmation letter but I still can't login. I've seen this fix a bunch of times yet no one says how to do it. Please someone look at this thread and answer......please?!?:eek:

4. rspeaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Wish I could remember exactly where it is. You need to log into your account on a computer, and somewhere in there is the option to confirm your email. YouTube sends an email to you, you click on a link, and then your email is confirmed. Immediately after doing this I was able to log into my account on my iPhone.

(So glad I wasn't the only one having this issue.)

5. ebika macrumors 6502

Like gary001 I tried changing my email address to the same email address it already had, so that the confirmation email would be sent to me. I clicked on that confirmation link. It still doesn't work.

Update: I managed to fix it. Here are the total steps in case it helps anyone (it went wrong in there somewhere then went right somewhere):
    • Sign in to youtube with my gmail account
    • It asked if I want to set up a new account on youtube, I did, I filled out the information
    • Logging into youtube on the phone fails, I try deleting my account
    • I find out that the username I want is now gone, so I submit a support request to reopen my account and get it reopened
    • Reopened account now shows in the manage password page on youtube that my account is no longer using gmail to change password
    • Still doesn't work on the iPhone
    • Change password on youtube account to something other than my gmail password

Getting the password controlled through youtube rather than gmail, then changing my password fixed it for me. On a side, note, it will still not let me change my email address to something other than the gmail account I originally used.

6. gary001 macrumors member

Well seeing as how I'm desperate, I followed what you did almost exactly but still no luck. Gah! This is becomming very VERY annoying! Hopefully Apple releases a firmware update soon that will fix this (if it's even firmware related). Oh Apple, why must you always take one step forward and two steps back?!?

7. hagar macrumors 6502a

I have fixed the problem for me by changing password. I had a strong password with symbols in it, and replaced it by a simple one. Then, I could login immediately.

While that fixed it for my iPhone, it did not for my AppleTV, which suffers from exactly the same problem.

It seems this issue is caused by Apple and not by Google.

Update: I could finally login on AppleTV too, by not using the Remote Keyboard (provided by the Remote.app on iPhone). Again, this illustrates the issue is with Apple.

8. gary001 macrumors member

That worked!! My god Apple, why have you been screwing up so much lately. I hope they fix this soon. I don't like having a weak password!

9. hagar macrumors 6502a

Your are right: since leopard, the number of bugs I have encountered in apple software is definitely on the rise. And most of them never get fixed. Let's hope Snow Leopard is a turning point.

10. CarpetRyd macrumors newbie

how to confirm your email

this worked for me instantly!

1. log into Youtube account
    2. click account
    3. click email options on the left
    4. for me there was an "(unconfirmed)" next to my current email address. I clicked that and typed in my password (same one used to log into YouTube) and clicked confirm... they sent me an email w/ a link. Clicked and my email was confirmed.

For others i think you just type in your new email address (or same one) and type in your password (YOUTUBE PASSWORD) and click the confirm button.

All set!

This was suppper annoying for me, hope this helps others...

11. stimpymac macrumors newbie

I tried the step above and indeed it said email unconfirmed on my account. But when I click on that link it brings me to a "change your email address" page and when I try to do just that, it says my password is incorrect! This isn't an Apple bug. It's a Google bug and it's infuriating!

12. NinjaKid macrumors member

Youtube login Fix

I had the same problem the only thing i found to fix this was to create a Google account. Then goto Youtube and login with the Goggle account "email address and password you used for goggle", once that is done you will get a screen where you enter the Youtube login, once that is done you get another screen to verify the Google login. This will link the Google login with the Youtube login then on the Iphone/itouch for the Youtube login use the Google login "email address and password" instead of the youtube login and this will fix the problem.

13. saxmaster13 macrumors newbie

FIX for Youtube Login on/from IPhone (AND GMAIL Login)

Ok, Very simple to do...extremely frusturating if you aren't a geek like me to figure it out finally.

Here is the SIMPLE process fix, I'll include everything....

Youtube Login from IPhone

1. Stop Panicing (seriously...stop it lol)

2. Assuming you've already successfully Logged-in / Set Up your Gmail account for your Iphone (If not, scroll down to "Step 7"...and stop freaking out); if you have then go to the next step (Step 3).

3. From your Computer, go to http://youtube.com/
    ...(Sign in if you have to, make sure you know which email your using!)

4. Click on your account in the top-right corner (should display as your username or real name). You'll see a drop down box after clicking it.

5. Click on *INBOX" (Its right next to "SETTINGS" at the top-right corner, directly beneath your Youtube Username)

6. If you see a message that instructs you to Create a Channel, do it now. You won't have to do anything else except click it. If it asks you to confirm on the next page, then confirm it.

7. [This process is ALSO for setting up your Gmail account on your Iphone.]
    NOW...(deep breath, almost there), visit this webpage: https://accounts.google.com/IssuedAuthSubTokens
    It might ask you to login again, so go ahead and do that if it does.

8. Scroll down the page, you will see "Application-specific password".
    [​IMG]
    In the field box, type in "Youtube". Then, *Click* the "Generate Password" button right below it. You'll see a long password in a Yellow Box (hopefully). [If not, you might have to set-up your "2-step verification" first by going here: https://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=1056283&answer=185839
    >>For Setting up Gmail on your Iphone, type in Iphone, and click "generate password". (You'll need to do this step twice, each separately for Gmail password, and Youtube password)

9. LAST STEP...*FROM YOUR IPHONE* Access Youtube through your "Youtube App". Click Sign in. Type in your username@gmail.com, *THEN* For Password, Use the password you just generated on your google account from your computer using "Application-specific password" (remember, its the long one in the yellow box). You don't need spaces when typing the password in on your Iphone. (**Make Sure you USE THIS PASSWORD for logging in, not your normal password!)

10. Viola. If it works, you won't ever have to use that password again, remember that! Only once do you have to use that long password for each application that requires it. Then you go back to your normal password.
    If it doesn't work, seek medical attention before you flip out. Lol
    (Check Step 8 again and set-up the 2-step Verification.)