Cant log in?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djschep, Jun 14, 2012.

1. djschep macrumors member

Hey guys,

Sometimes when I turn on my iMac, it takes unusually long to get to the log-in screen, and when it finally gets there, I cant click on my User. Usually I just hard restart the computer thenit works sometimes but this isn't a permanent solution for me. It started happening last week and seems to happen most times i start up now.

Has anyone had this before? If so, how can it be solved? If you haven't heard of this before what do you recommend me to do?

If possible, seeing as it is an iMac, i'd rather not lug it to an apple store/reseller.

Thanks in advance!!!
    djschep

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Try resetting the PRAM:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    6. Release the keys.

3. djschep thread starter macrumors member

Ok, i've done this, wil get back to you if i notice it still happening! any chance you could explain to me what PRAM and NVRAM are?
    Thanks

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Your Mac stores certain settings in a special memory area even if it is turned off. On Intel-based Macs, this is stored in memory known as NVRAM; on PowerPC-based Macs, this is stored in memory known as PRAM. Information stored in NVRAM or PRAM may include:

Speaker volume
    Screen resolution
    Startup disk selection

You may need to reset the NVRAM or PRAM if you experience issues related to these functions. For example, if your Mac starts up from a startup disk other than the one you've specified in Startup Disk preferences, or if a "question mark" icon appears briefly when your Mac starts up, resetting NVRAM or PRAM may help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1895#

5. djschep thread starter macrumors member

WOW! thanks so much Razorhog you've been so helpful!

6. djschep, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

djschep thread starter macrumors member

Still doing it

Well after I reset the NRAM, everything was okay for about 4-5 startups but it seems to have come back with a vengeance! It wont even let me log in after having waited 5-10mins (last time if I waited a bit then it would let me in)! Please someone help!!
    djschep

----------

It's an intel based mid 2011 21,5 iMac just so you know

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What kind of input device are you using? Is this a USB mouse, Apple's Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad? Not sure it would explain the longer startup time but it could account for the delay or inability to click the account to login to. Try replacing the batteries on the Bluetooth device or make sure the USB mouse is directly connected, not through a hub.

8. djschep thread starter macrumors member

I have a USB mouse and an apple wireless keyboard