Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidtronix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Just upgraded from Lion to Mavericks and can no longer log into my Aol IM account using Messages. It says "Unable to verify account name or password."

I was earlier getting some verification problems belonging to my web-host. See my Aol IM is my email address and the domain for the email address is my own, in fact my name. So it gave verification issues regarding ipage.com who is my webhost for my domain. But that doesn't make sense, why would Messages need anything from my domain host when that is just my Aol IM handle? I never had any problems in iChat. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

slothbear

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
seeing same result via different path

AOL is marked as "inactive" and the "Log In" menu item is grey. And somewhere along the way I saw a message about verifying the address – at my own email domain... which is crazy.

I wasn't sure what else to try, so I went for the good old re-boot. I deleted my AOL account from Messages, then added it. Note, you can't use the "Aol" choice that first comes up when you press the PLUS, that's for new accounts I think. Choose Other Messages account..., then AIM.

After entering my old name and password, I'm back on AIM. or Aol. whatever. I've no clue what went wrong, but re-boot is always a good idea –*especially when it is this easy to try.

fastasleep

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
Note, you can't use the "Aol" choice that first comes up when you press the PLUS, that's for new accounts I think. Choose Other Messages account..., then AIM.

After entering my old name and password, I'm back on AIM. or Aol. whatever. I've no clue what went wrong, but re-boot is always a good idea –*especially when it is this easy to try.

Thanks, this helped in Yosemite —*kept trying to re-add my account via the AOL button, but yes you need to scroll down and do "Add Other Account..." instead. Not sure why I couldn't sign in with the AOL thing as I allegedly have an email address with them because of my AIM account. Maybe the AOL button's been broken for years and nobody noticed. :)

nim6us

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
Fcuking shittay programing! I was banging my head against the wall with this one for a while. Thanks for the solution, I got my account added now. Thank god for message boards!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.