Can't log into MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kick, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Kick macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!
    I can't log into my MBP, I am 100% positive that it's the right password. I try to log in three times and each time it tells me it's the wrong password. After the third time the screen goes black.
    I tried restarting it several times by holding the power button down. Then I put in the Mac OS X Install DVD and held down the C key when restarting it, as described in the mac help book thing it came with. I ran the 'repair disk' under disk utilities and it found nothing wrong with it.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

In the book it describes reinstalling the software and that I should back up my documents. I don't know how to do that; I was able to make a disk image on my brother's ipod but I don't know how to get my documents on there. I'm pretty okay with losing everything, but I don't want to lose my pictures.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your best bet would be to plop the hard drive out of there, transfer your data over to another mac, erase and install, and copy your stuff back.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats a bit drastic.

instead OP, pop in your original gray disk that came with the machine - boot from it (by restarting and holding the C key) and form the Utilities menu choose "password reset manager" (i think). this will let you change the passwords for any account.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

should be noted this will not change the password on filevault enabled accounts.

5. JackieHD macrumors newbie

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh yes good call - if the account is filevaulted then you are pretty much ruined :(

7. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

This is why we dont steal computers !

j.k

I can pm you something that allows you to change the user name and password if you dont get a resolution out of this thread.

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Every time I see one of these 'how to crack a password' thread, I always assume the device is stolen. I advise all of you guys to not help the OP. Not to mention this is the OP's first post.

9. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

ah I see join date is today so I wont offer my help.

10. Kick thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the concern but this is my laptop, as far as I know :p, I bought it myself last summer. This started three days ago and I called apple support today, my 90 days was expired BUT I could buy it for one time only of almost $50 OR extend it for another two years for almost $200 what a deal! Ha ha, I don't have that much money! So I found this forum and you guys are awesome! I reset my password and I logged in no problem! :) My computer's messed up; I guess is reset the password by itself?? My computer has issues I guess; I'll have one program running looking through pictures and it'll shut down as if it has too much going on and before this it has randomly shut down and frozen... I don't know, but thanks for the help!

By the way, what is a firevaulted account? Is it sealed in some way to protect the files or encrypted?

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ah! i am glad that this reset the password! it appears as though the preference files/whatever holds the password may have become corrupt - or something along those lines. i am glad that it worked for you

filevalue is a way to encrypt your files and folders so that you need a password to unlock them.

in Snow Leopard you can only filevault a user folder

in Lion (apples new upcoming OS) you can encrypt an entire drive.

hope this helps.

12. DD3 macrumors newbie

I head the same problem 2 days ago on my MBP 2011...

The only solution is to transfer your data(if you don't have time machine) and reinstall the OS...

Good luck...:)

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As you can tell from the posts above you don't have to do this. You can just use the install disks that came with your Mac (unless you use FileVault).

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh, thats unfortunate that you went through that tedious method to recover all of your data - especially when the workaround is so simple :(

15. DD3 macrumors newbie

I just read this post more carefully and I didn't have the exact same problem sorry....

Each time i typed in my password it recognised it but gave me the blue screen and after few seconds gave me the login screen again...

I called apple and there advised me to reinstall my OS i tried safe boot disk utilities and reseting the password...

so i guess it was a different problem :(