Can't login after leopard upgd. tried p'wd reset. doesn't work.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by will0407, Nov 4, 2007.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to leopard on my macbook and it worked fine, no problems at all. Just tried to upgrade my imac, and it won't let me log in. I upgraded exactly the same way as my macbook. When I try and login, it goes to a blue screen as if it's loading/logging me in, then just goes back to login page.

I;ve tried booting into single user mode (holding command-s) and resetting my password, but it still doesn't work.

Anyone got any solutions? I've got tiger backed up on my ext.HD, altho it's a week (or maybe slightly less) since I last backed up, so ideally I'd like to be able to keep the stuff I've created since.

if worst comes to the worst, ill have to erase and install

2. lambda macrumors newbie

If you can boot from the install disk or another disk, try moving anything out of ~/Library/Startup Items and /Library/Startup Items. Also move aside ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist and ~/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist. Then try booting and logging in again to see if that helped you.

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

I'm having the same exact problem, im new to macs so i have no idea how to do what u guys stated above. Can someone explain to a slow person plz? Lol

5. OMGitsKevinR macrumors newbie

OMGitsKevinR

I'm having this problem too! I installed, restarted, entered my password correctly, a blue screen appeard for about 5 seconds, and then it took me back to the log in screen.

I had to result to using my iPhone to post this.

If anyone has a solution that can be explained to a mac newbe, that would be great!

6. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Boot into Single User Mode (hold down command + S) when you hear the startup chime.

Code:
    mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

This will create a new Admin account that you can use to reset the password.

7. OMGitsKevinR macrumors newbie

OMGitsKevinR

Ok...

So I tried what you said to do above...

Now it brings up another problem. I choose a language, country, keyboard layout, get to the "Do you already own a mac?" screen, select a wireless service, and when i get to the "enter your apple ID and password" screen it takes me right back to the very first screen which is "choose a language."

Now what?!

8. meh macrumors newbie

I had this problem when I tried the upgrade install
    tried resetting password from DVD utilities menu
    failed

did an archive install
    it worked

THEN, after I get to login, I notice there's an update for the login issue

I know it's too late for me, but is there a way to run the update from the DVD and patch the system before you ever login?

9. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

You have to do an archive and install to fix this issue as far as I know. I encountered the same issue on my friends iMac. It is due to the the iMac 1.2 update that came out for Leopard. If you installed it and then later tried to updated to Leopard, you get a login screen but can't login. I tried every work around but resorted to an archive and install.